Sporty Silvertown graduate launches healthy takeaway business
- Credit: Archant
A sporty business graduate is fuelling her passion for healthy eating by launching her own nutritious takeaway company.
Kelly McCarthy, 21, of Constable Avenue, Silvertown, set up Zest Food after finding quick good-for-you food hard to come by late at night. Aimed at the young professionals of Canary Wharf, customers will place their orders online or by telephone earlier in the day, and their food boxes will be hand-delivered that same evening.
Keeping it simple to start with, customers can choose from three options, rotating daily with spicy chilli, chicken and coriander kebabs, veggie falafel pate and beef meat balls all among the successful sample menus.
“When you’re eating healthily you generally feel happier,” she said.
“When I was studying late at uni I really struggled to find anything quick and healthy to eat late at night, so I’m offering a more attractive option for those spending their evenings at the office.”
You may also want to watch:
The daughter of Foreign Office parents, Kelly was born in Guyana and raised in the British Virgin Islands, before coming to Britain to study.
After finishing her business and psychology studies at BPP University last year she briefly worked in sales, something she “hated”, but after making it her New Year’s resolution to do something she cared about, quit her job in January.
- 1 Jailed man caught with knife in Stratford to be handed court order
- 2 Cause of death remains unknown after body found in disused Forest Gate pub
- 3 Tom Hiddleston to appear as MCM Comic Con returns to ExCeL London in Royal Docks
- 4 Forest Gate triple shooting: 'Safety is everybody's business,' councillor says
- 5 Worshippers at mosque in Upton Park aim to raise £35k for Royal British Legion's Poppy Appeal 2021
- 6 Body found in derelict pub in Forest Gate
- 7 Hundreds arrested after police crackdown on county lines
- 8 Thames Barrier closing for 200th time amid potential east London flooding
- 9 Car abandoned after triple shooting and stabbing at Forest Gate barber
- 10 Westfield Stratford City reopens after shop fire caused by electrical fault
Initially preparing and packaging the meal herself at a shared, rented kitchen in Bethnal Green, will also employ a delivery driver and a marketing intern.
Officially launched at a celebratory party in Westminster on Monday night and will take the first orders on Tuesday, August 12.
“It’s very sustainable so I’m hoping to expand as the word gets out,” she added.
“I can only package a limited number of boxes at the moment but in time, I hope that amount will grow, I’ll be able to take on more staff and eventually have my own dedicated kitchen for the business.”
A keen sportswoman since childhood, Kelly enjoyed sailing before taking up football and hockey in England and will compete in her first ever triathlon this weekend.
For more information visit zest-food.co.uk or facebook.com/zestfoodlondon.