Sporty Silvertown graduate launches healthy takeaway business
- Credit: Archant
A sporty business graduate is fuelling her passion for healthy eating by launching her own nutritious takeaway company.
Kelly McCarthy, 21, of Constable Avenue, Silvertown, set up Zest Food after finding quick good-for-you food hard to come by late at night. Aimed at the young professionals of Canary Wharf, customers will place their orders online or by telephone earlier in the day, and their food boxes will be hand-delivered that same evening.
Keeping it simple to start with, customers can choose from three options, rotating daily with spicy chilli, chicken and coriander kebabs, veggie falafel pate and beef meat balls all among the successful sample menus.
“When you’re eating healthily you generally feel happier,” she said.
“When I was studying late at uni I really struggled to find anything quick and healthy to eat late at night, so I’m offering a more attractive option for those spending their evenings at the office.”
You may also want to watch:
The daughter of Foreign Office parents, Kelly was born in Guyana and raised in the British Virgin Islands, before coming to Britain to study.
After finishing her business and psychology studies at BPP University last year she briefly worked in sales, something she “hated”, but after making it her New Year’s resolution to do something she cared about, quit her job in January.
- 1 The Boleyn Tavern in East Ham to welcome back punters after £1.5m restoration
- 2 11 films and TV shows shot in Newham
- 3 Exploding aerosol cans 'contributed to rapid spread' of Silvertown blaze
- 4 Arrests in Ilford and East Ham as police target suspected county lines gang
- 5 Average house price in Newham slides again after record February
- 6 Richard House Children's Hospice sensory garden equipment stolen
- 7 Looking back: five years since West Ham United left the Boleyn
- 8 Plaistow woman shaves her head for charities
- 9 London Stadium to host mass Covid-19 jabs event for north east Londoners
- 10 Free summer school offers music, fashion, hip hop dance and more
Initially preparing and packaging the meal herself at a shared, rented kitchen in Bethnal Green, will also employ a delivery driver and a marketing intern.
Officially launched at a celebratory party in Westminster on Monday night and will take the first orders on Tuesday, August 12.
“It’s very sustainable so I’m hoping to expand as the word gets out,” she added.
“I can only package a limited number of boxes at the moment but in time, I hope that amount will grow, I’ll be able to take on more staff and eventually have my own dedicated kitchen for the business.”
A keen sportswoman since childhood, Kelly enjoyed sailing before taking up football and hockey in England and will compete in her first ever triathlon this weekend.
For more information visit zest-food.co.uk or facebook.com/zestfoodlondon.