More than 20 places in Newham hit by flooding, council says
- Credit: Will Knox-Walker
Torrential rain caused flash flooding in more than 20 places across the borough.
Newham Council's emergency response team received reports of downpours affecting 22 areas, including East Ham, Canning Town, Stratford and Forest Gate on Sunday, July 25.
High Street South, Green Street, Upton Lane, Kimberley Road, Sherrard Road, Shrewsbury Road and Goldsmith Avenue were among those hit.
The Stratford Centre, Canning Town station and Pudding Mill Lane station were also flooded, according to the council.
Newham Hospital's A&E was closed because of the downpour but has since reopened.
Local authority workers delivered sandbags to some of the homes in the worst affected areas, with street cleaners sweeping away any debris on Monday (July 26).
You may also want to watch:
Newham's highways team remains on standby with storms forecast by the Met Office on Tuesday.
Resident Will Knox-Walker told the Recorder that water started to wash away in Sixth Avenue, Manor Park, once neighbours started poking through dirt in the drains.
- 1 East London's 10 prettiest streets to visit
- 2 Three places to go pumpkin picking near east London
- 3 Steven Fry stabbing: Man charged with murder to appear at Old Bailey
- 4 Steven Fry: Canning Town man to face court charged with murder
- 5 Man killed and two injured in triple shooting
- 6 Police name Newham man fatally shot in Haringey
- 7 Road and rail round-up: Steer clear of these disruptions next week
- 8 Leyton Orient boss Jackett 'frustrated' with Mansfield Town draw
- 9 First apartments to go on sale at 769-home development in Royal Docks
- 10 Haircuts, flu jabs and health care: Event to link up homeless and vulnerable people with free support services
Responsibility for clearing the surface water drainage gullies lies with the town hall.
A council spokesperson said: "When there is a large amount of water fall in a short period of time, flash floods can occur which is unfortunately what happened in Newham and other parts of London on Sunday.
"All of the water drained away from the flooded roads which demonstrates the drainage system is working."
The places listed below were reported to Newham's emergency response team:
Chargeable Lane car park
High Street South
Marsh Gate Lane
Pudding Mill Lane station
Canning Town station