Central Line drivers to strike on Friday
- Credit: Archant
Newham’s commuters will face delays on Friday as a strike on the Central Line has been announced.
More than 90 per cent of members of the ASLEF union of train drivers voted in favour of industrial action.
Union representative Finn Brennan said that management had refused “to treat drivers with the respect and dignity they deserve at work.”
He added: “Our members will not tolerate a situation where vulnerable people leave sickness review meetings in tears and drivers with years and years of good and long service are threatened with disciplinary action for a delay of 33 seconds in leaving a terminus.”
He also criticised LUL for cutting annual referesher training for Central Line drivers despite the fact that Central Line staff were told they should have more training after an ‘uncontrolled evacuation’ at Holland Park last August.
You may also want to watch:
Lance Ramsay, London Underground’s General Manager, said: “We have been holding discussions with ASLEF to work through local issues they have raised within our agreed processes. We’re disappointed that ASLEF members have voted in favour of strike action while discussions are still ongoing. Strike action is not necessary and we urge them to continue talks with us to understand and resolve their concerns.”
- 1 Changes to controversial Newham parking scheme announced
- 2 'Clearly insufficient' - Canning Town teacher in charge of foodbank talks free school meal hampers
- 3 Violent gang stuff sock in elderly woman's mouth and steal her jewellery
- 4 Artist plans window exhibition to put Newham's artistic talent on the map
- 5 West Ham boss Moyes believes they have plenty more to come after Palace victory
- 6 Police release image after teenager stabbed in Forest Gate robbery
- 7 This is what we want to show everyone says Hammers star Tomas Soucek
- 8 Arrests after girl, 16, falls onto tracks at King George V DLR
- 9 Police appeal for help after woman raped in Beckton
- 10 Covid vaccination hub opening in Westfield next week