Young can take part in summer of culture
- Credit: Archant
Almost an entire month of free cultural activities has been dedicated to young people over the summer holiday.
The Youth Takeover at Bethnal Green’s Rich Mix arts centre will include daily workshops on everything from documentary making and fashion to Arabic calligraphy and Manga drawing.
More than 30 events, targeted at 16 to 25-year-olds, will take place until August 22. Last year more than 2,000 visitors took part.
Youth, families and learning co-ordinator, Jessica Loveless, said: “The idea is that it’s something that is creative and informative and fun and engaging for young people to get into in their summer holiday.
“We have made the thing free so that prices aren’t getting in the way of anyone who wants to be involved. There’s a real variety of events, something for everyone to enjoy.”
You may also want to watch:
The takeover will host daytime workshops and masterclasses with IdeasTap on getting started as a professional artist, and MediaTrust on forging a fledgling writing career and learning to video blog.
Each night will see a special performance event, from a live gig to theatre at the centre in Bethnal Green Road.
- 1 Stratford councillor who slammed Boris's bike ride cycles 30 mile round trip across London
- 2 Police appeal for help after woman raped in Beckton
- 3 Tribute to 7th Barts Health Trust worker to die of Covid-19
- 4 Fan's column: West Ham are in the mix to battle it out with the big boys
- 5 Double murder accused remanded in custody over ‘brutal’ stabbings
- 6 NHS Nightingale London's jabs hub opens as Covid-19 vaccinations ramp up
- 7 Mayor vows to continue Newham free school meals scheme
- 8 New partnership to provide scholarships for Newham law students
- 9 Forest Gate man, 21, charged with dangerous and drug driving
- 10 NHS 'concerned' about Covid vaccine uptake in Newham
Highlights include a screening of Here and Now, the debut film from writer-director Lisle Turner, followed by a Q&A with the film’s lead actors.
Regular acts, including Smile Acoustic and AllSortz, will also perform one-off special editions of their shows.
Rich Mix is a charity and social enterprise which puts its profits back into supporting education, arts and community.
n Visit richmix.org.uk for more.