Hollyoaks actor features in Stratford Circus play shining spotlight on racism in football
- Credit: Archant
A play that shines a spotlight on racism in football featuring a Hollyoaks actor is coming to Stratford Circus Arts Centre.
Award-winning theatre company 20 Stories High is presenting The Spine on February 25 and 26.
Directed by Nathan Powell, The Spine follows three friends on a football team as they work towards playing in the Premier League.
As the dream of playing professionally draws nearer, the strength of their friendship is put to the test and they are faced with new challenges of racism and hyper-masculinity within the football system.
Nathan says: "Behind the glitz and glamour of the beautiful game, there are young boys, growing up in the academy system and trying to figure out their place in the world.
You may also want to watch:
"Friendship, toxic-masculinity, racism - through The Spine, I wanted to show the incredible pressures these young men face."
Among the cast is Keith Rice who played Finn O'Connor in Hollyoaks.
- 1 Newham to start weekly recycling collections
- 2 Anonymous tip off could hold key to murder of Sami Sidhom three years later
- 3 Town hall chiefs back £3m purchase of Plaistow property for rough sleeper centre
- 4 Police officer jailed for GBH after injuring man in Forest Gate
- 5 Ex-student who got MIT scholarship sets up tutor business to help others
- 6 'Council houses now': Protesters stage action over empty homes
- 7 Jailed: Newham men who raped and robbed women in Hackney home
- 8 Women's FA Cup: West Ham 11 Chichester & Selsey 0
- 9 Santino Dymiter murder: Teens given life terms for 'savage' gang killing
- 10 Recognising the importance of crossing thresholds as lockdown eases
Tickets are £10. Visit stratford-circus.com for more information.