Hollyoaks actor features in Stratford Circus play shining spotlight on racism in football
- Credit: Archant
A play that shines a spotlight on racism in football featuring a Hollyoaks actor is coming to Stratford Circus Arts Centre.
Award-winning theatre company 20 Stories High is presenting The Spine on February 25 and 26.
Directed by Nathan Powell, The Spine follows three friends on a football team as they work towards playing in the Premier League.
As the dream of playing professionally draws nearer, the strength of their friendship is put to the test and they are faced with new challenges of racism and hyper-masculinity within the football system.
Nathan says: "Behind the glitz and glamour of the beautiful game, there are young boys, growing up in the academy system and trying to figure out their place in the world.
You may also want to watch:
"Friendship, toxic-masculinity, racism - through The Spine, I wanted to show the incredible pressures these young men face."
Among the cast is Keith Rice who played Finn O'Connor in Hollyoaks.
- 1 Things to do in east London this weekend (August 7-8)
- 2 Man, 19, arrested in Newham during proactive police patrol
- 3 Junior Jah: Police release image of stolen car used in Custom House fatal attack
- 4 Bus crashes into lamp post in Stratford
- 5 Cannabis factory discovered by firefighters tackling blaze in Upton Park
- 6 East Ham cannabis farm raided by police
- 7 Start Me Up: Rolling Stones legend Ronnie Wood opens studio in Canning Town for budding musicians
- 8 Leyton Orient could be without key forwards for season opener at Salford
- 9 Excess death rates in Newham among highest in England and Wales, figures show
- 10 'Beautiful' meadow blossoms at Wanstead Flats a year after Covid-19 mortuary removed
Tickets are £10. Visit stratford-circus.com for more information.