Hackney-based artist explores Sacred Spaces at a Stratford church
- Credit: Holly Chant
An east London Unitarian Church has started putting on exhibitions, in a bid to showcase exceptional local artists.
The first of many planned exhibits saw artist Alison Neville display architectural etchings made from her sketches of buildings from across the world.
Alison told the Gazette about the exhibition, called Sacred Spaces, which launched at the Stratford Meeting House Gallery on September 4.
She said: “Architecture particularly interests me and being close to buildings, so you are looking up or looking down at them.
“And it’s all a bit of a surprise.”
The artist lives near the Unitarian Church but creates her art in Acme Studios on Orsman Road in Hackney.
You may also want to watch:
Alison’s work has seen her travel all over the world, drawing buildings in France, India, Morocco, Pakistan, Italy and in London.
The artist, who was born in Zimbabwe, is not a Unitarian but says the church is “great at getting to know its neighbours”.
- 1 Halal butcher's aiming to be 'Harrods of meat industry' opens in Stratford
- 2 Car abandoned after triple shooting and stabbing at Forest Gate barber
- 3 Parking space row sees police called and woman left feeling 'vulnerable'
- 4 'Simply horrifying': Newham MPs react after stabbing of Sir David Amess
- 5 14 charged with alleged drug dealing and money laundering offences
- 6 Forest Gate townhouses scoop RIBA's Neave Brown award for 'affordable' housing
- 7 Plan to transform Royal Docks into 'world-leading' cultural hub unveiled
- 8 Beckton man due to be sentenced for sexual assault of young girl
- 9 Family given 'gift' of week to say goodbye to son who died at 10 minutes old
- 10 Man in critical condition after triple shooting in Newham
“I just got to know them because they sit and have cups of tea outside and wave,” Alison said.
“They are very good at community things. I mean there’s no pressure to become part of this community but everyone’s welcome."
See more of Alison's art at alisonneville.london/architecturaletchings
Find out more about the West Ham Lane church at www.ukunitarians.org.uk/stratford