Review: Roof East, Stratford
- Credit: Archant
The rooftop of the Stratford Centre’s multi-storey has been transformed into an impressive urban hangout with the arrival of Roof East.
The spectacular views of the Stratford skyline, including the Queen Elizabeth Olympic Park, made me wonder why the eighth floor had been solely devoted to parked cars for so long.
Now a bar, cinema and so-called “urban park” have happily been added to make it Stratford’s newest destination.
The bar and benches have been furnished out of upcycled wood, with the utilitarian feel softened by the addition of trees and plants - some of which have even been planted in old cars to reference the venue’s former use.
Drinks and food are provided by the much-raved about Hackney Pearl and for good reason.
You may also want to watch:
Despite a concise menu, foodies will be spoilt for choice. I pipped for the sweetcorn and homemade sweet chilli jam and yoghurt while my guest chose the rare breed pork and rosemary burger with tomato and grana padano - which were both as yummy as they sound.
Some of the tastiness is probably down to the fact that the fresh produce is grown on the very same rooftop thanks to a nifty grow box.
- 1 Body found in derelict pub in Forest Gate
- 2 Manor Park Fitness Centre closing to make way for 'affordable' homes
- 3 Two hospitalised as 60 firefighters tackle blaze in Stratford
- 4 92 arrests as police respond to community concerns about crime
- 5 Newham mathematician to fill in for Countdown presenter and expectant mum Rachel Riley
- 6 Westfield Stratford City reopens after shop fire caused by electrical fault
- 7 Stephen Timms 'cannot forgive attacker without meeting face-to-face'
- 8 Car abandoned after triple shooting and stabbing at Forest Gate barber
- 9 Newham to 'bring back the broom' as recycling gets boost
- 10 Fast food! Lewis Hamilton-backed chain opening east London branches
And then there are the delicious watermelon coolers which help create a summer vibe, regardless of the weather.
After sundown Roof Top Film Club are showing a selection of new films and old classics almost daily throughout the summer. Wireless headphones, deckchairs (and all-important blankets and fresh popcorn) are all on offer to create a really memorable cinematic experience.
For more information, visit roofeast.com