Turkish kebab eateries named best in south and east London
- Credit: CEFTUS
Two Turkish restaurants in Whitechapel and Manor Park have proved to be the hottest in town by winning gongs at nineth British Kebab Awards.
The Ottoman Doner restaurants, which only opened in 2018, have been crowned the best in south and east London at a packed Westminster Plaza awards night.
In just three years, the owners created "a brand which many have struggled to achieve in decades,” judges said.
The Ottoman in Canon Street Road, off Whitechapel Road, and its sister eatery in Romford Road, “educate diners on the history of the kebab and the Ottoman Empire”.
They have also helped feed the homeless and rough sleepers. Their premises served as food banks during the Covid lockdowns when thousands of meals were distributed.
“This is an amazing achievement,” Ottoman Doner’s director Abdal Ahmed said. “This wouldn’t have been possible without our customers.”
The company is opening a third kebab house in Ilford next month and is now thinking about rolling out a franchise model for the winning brand.
- 1 'Extremely violent' Forest Gate robbery filmed by onlookers
- 2 East London man charged with six terrorism offences
- 3 Alexandra Burke: Stratford Christmas concert cancelled over 'safety fears'
- 4 'We have been failed': Newham families face eviction by council
- 5 Multi-vehicle collision in Canning Town leads to one driver being cut free
- 6 Burglar posing as police officer 'preyed upon the elderly'
- 7 Nine rescue pets looking for homes this Christmas in east London
- 8 Westfield bar's licence under threat after girl raped
- 9 What are the chances of a white Christmas in London?
- 10 Newham residents urged to shop local on Small Business Saturday
The British Kebab Awards were started in 2013 by Ibrahim Dogus, founder of the Centre for Turkey Studies, recognising the 20,000 outlets' £2.8billion a year to the UK economy with 200,000 jobs.