Campaigners call for public funds to regenerate Cody Dock
An open day will be held at the neglected Cody Dock area of Canning Town on Saturday to raise more money for its regeneration.
Organisers at the Gasworks Dock Partnership need to raise �60,000 in just one week to complete the project.
The target was to raise the money before the start of the Olympics.
The open day will give visitors the chance to go on a tour of the Lower Lea River, and enjoy a barbecue and live music.
East Ham MP Stephen Timms is the special guest.
You may also want to watch:
Simon Myers, chief executive of the Gasworks Dock Partnership, said: “We have all the plans and suppliers for a light bridge to link both sides of the Fatwalk (a 26-mile path running alongside the River Lea).
“But this is a poor area, and local people can only afford to donate about �5 each.
- 1 The Boleyn Tavern in East Ham to welcome back punters after £1.5m restoration
- 2 Richard House Children's Hospice sensory garden equipment stolen
- 3 Rape survivor awarded British Empire Medal for services to community in pandemic
- 4 Leyton Orient linked with Omar Beckles, Connor Wood and Paul Smyth
- 5 It's been a busy week at Leyton Orient with plenty of signings expected
- 6 US burger chain Wendy's set to open first London restaurant in Stratford
- 7 Woman dies in fire at Stratford home
- 8 Newham Muslim groups urge Boris Johnson to condemn attack in Canada
- 9 Leyton Orient sign defender Omar Beckles from Crewe Alexandra
- 10 Barking sign former Leyton Orient duo Elliott Omozusi and Charlie MacDonald
“We are concerned that we will not be able to reach our target and get the bridge up in time.”
The high-profile scheme to raise �140,000 online via Spacehive. the crowd sourcing portal, was launched in May. It attracted the support of Mr Timms and Poirot star David Suchet.
The project would be the first revamp of the raw Lower Lea Valley.
The open day at Cody Dock, 11c South Crescent, Canning Town, E16 4TL, takes place between 11am and 7pm. Visit www.facebook.com/codydock for more information.