Youngbloods Amazons silence Thunder
- Credit: Archant
Under-18 girls get better of London rivals
London Youngbloods Amazons under-18 girls team claimed an excellent 71-37 win against Lewisham Thunder.
Sade Orija opened the scoring with the first basket, settling the Youngbloods girls as they had travelled to south London without their full squad. But Lewisham came back on their home court and took a 9-5 lead in the sixth minute, before Roshni Lawrence hit two big three-pointers to put Youngbloods back in front.
The visitors kept scoring baskets after that and ended the first quarter with a 20-11 advantage in their favour.
The second quarter saw Orija, Delgado and Charles contributing to the scoresheet and extending the Youngbloods’ lead to see them 36-19 up at half time.
You may also want to watch:
Amazons went into overdrive in the third quarter, with Akinkugbe and Griyaite joining the scoring and putting the game beyond Thunder at 55-29.
A good team effort by the Amazons saw them maintain their strong lead in the final quarter, with excellent rebounding by Roxy Mayers and Mercy Akinkugbe supporting more great plays by Lawrence and Orija.
- 1 Tributes to 'hero' charity founder who dedicated life to Newham children
- 2 There's huge belief in the team insists West Ham loanee Jesse Lingard
- 3 Jailed: Newham men who raped and robbed women in Hackney home
- 4 Player ratings: Lingard and Bowen guide Hammers back into the top four
- 5 West Ham boss Moyes hailed players in Leicester City victory
- 6 Election candidate slams plans for Durning Hall in Forest Gate
- 7 Stratford was busiest station on TfL network last year, data reveals
- 8 Elections, Ron Dyer, Islamophobia and Covid
- 9 Former boxer compared feet with Prince Philip during visit to club
- 10 Santino Dymiter murder: Teens given life terms for 'savage' gang killing
Coach Caroline Charles was pleased with the result and siad: “I am very happy to get the win considering we had players missing for various reasons, but Lewisham had players missing also.
“It was good performance for the girls it was tough but we got the job done.”