Seven cup finals for West Ham as they chase Champions League place
- Credit: PA
It may be a well-worn cliché but we now have seven cup finals to claim a seat at European football’s top table.
I’m literally running out of superlatives for this West Ham side. Not only are we the most entertaining team in all of English football, not only are we the top club in London, but now with just seven games to go we are in the box seat for fourth place and maybe even third.
There seems to be a familiar pattern emerging, we storm into 3-0 leads playing a ruthless, swashbuckling brand of counter-attacking football. Jesse Lingard gets his customary wonder goal or two and we look every inch one of the best teams in the country.
Sadly the other side of our game could potentially give Hammers fans worldwide severe heart problems, for the third time in a row we allowed our opponents back into the game and were hanging on for dear life at the end.
We were 3-0 up until the 70th minute against Leicester and then Arthur Masuaku inexplicably gave the ball away in our defensive third and in seconds it was 3-1. From that moment on it was Arsenal and Wolves all over again.
You may also want to watch:
This West Ham team are starting to remind me of that Liverpool side that almost won the league in the 2013/14 season. They were breathtaking and would regularly destroy sides with relentless pace, aggression and a devastating clinical edge.
However, for all the beauty of their attack it was their defence that cost them the title, most infamously against Crystal Palace when they were 3-0 up and squandered that lead with a mere 11 minutes to go in their penultimate match of the season.
- 1 Ex-police officer among group jailed for £850k intercept from rival gangs
- 2 Vandal targets St Antony statue outside church in Forest Gate
- 3 Rumours over empty Stratford estate homes quashed in meeting
- 4 Family of man who died after attack in Canning Town pays tribute to a 'loving, generous' father
- 5 'Petrified' cat reunited with kittens after 'pursuit' in Canning Town
- 6 Lewis Hamilton-backed vegan burger joint to open in Stratford
- 7 Architects awarded £300K contract for Stratford Station makeover
- 8 Blaze under control at block of flats being built in Canning Town
- 9 Newham charity hands out 500 food parcels to 'vulnerable' international students struggling with Covid-19
- 10 Woman arrested in Custom House fatal stabbing and shooting investigation
We cannot keep doing this; we need to manage games in a better fashion.
The last time West Ham were in a position to smash the glass ceiling was back in the 2015/16 season. That team relied heavily on the mercurial talents of one Dimitri Payet.
This side is not reliant on any one man. Without Declan Rice, Michail Antonio and Angelo Ogbonna - the spine of our side - we just beat a very good Leicester team and our unrelenting march to Champions League football is showing no signs of abating.
If we win at Newcastle we will be third with just six games to go. The dream is inching ever closer.