Wapping edged out once again by Oxted

PUBLISHED: 14:00 15 March 2017

Action from Wapping men's firsts' clash at home to Southgate (pic: Iain McAusland)

Action from Wapping men's firsts' clash at home to Southgate (pic: Iain McAusland)


Wapping 2 Oxted 3

Wapping were once again left empty-handed in the National League despite another battling display against Oxted.

Buoyed by recent performances and fielding a strong side despite injuries and other absences, they made a bright start and applied early pressure.

However, Oxted’s quick transfers opened them up twice in quick succession and the home side conceded from a short corner and a deflected cross.

Wapping worked their way back into the match, with Phil Messent going close from a short corner before Mark Bennett’s powerful cross into the D was deflected into the bottom corner by Ian Kibble to halve the deficit.

Coach Ryan D’Souza offered his side plenty of encouragement during the break, but Wapping had to weather a storm after the restart as Oxted started strongly.

The home side held firm at a string of short corners and then drew level when Rory Preston worked his way around the backline and saw his cross deflected into the net to make it 2-2.

Needing a win to help their battle against relegation, Wapping pushed forward in search of a third goal, but Kibble was denied by a world-class save from the Oxted keeper.

And the hosts were then caught out at the back as Oxted created an overlap on the right and saw a cross intercepted by a Wapping defender, with the keeper committed, and fall kindly for an attacker to place the loose ball into an empty net.

Wapping removed their keeper for an extra outfield player in the two minutes that remained, but could not find a way through and need to beat fellow strugglers Brighton and Indian Gymkhana in their last two games to have any chance of survival.

The thirds romped to a 10-0 win over Waltham Forest seconds, as Alex White and Richard Ripper hit hat-tricks, Michael Bolle bagged a brace and Caspar Paulus and Tom Rose also netted.

But Tom Brownill’s goal was in vain as the fourths lost 2-1 to West Herts thirds, while the fifths and sixths drew 2-2 with Upminster seconds and Chelmsford thirds respectively, with Tom Hammond, Dan Ellis and Dean Monk (2) on target.

The eighths lost 4-1 to Maldon seconds, with Hamza Ateeque getting the consolation, while the tenths beat Braintree Academy 2-1 as Tom Scrase doubled up and the 11ths saw Aaron Fronda and Sam Jones seal a 2-0 win over Waltham Forest Otters.

If you value what this story gives you, please consider supporting the Newham Recorder. Click the link in the yellow box below for details.

Become a supporter

This newspaper has been a central part of community life for many years, through good times and bad, serving as your advocate and trusted source of local information. Our industry is facing testing times, which is why I’m asking for your support. Every single contribution will help us continue to produce award-winning local journalism that makes a measurable difference to our community.

Thank you.

Most Read

Most Read

Latest from the Newham Recorder