Volleyball stars set for London Legacy Cup
- Credit: Archant
Wlazly leads Polish club into action at Copper Box
One of the biggest names in world volleyball has been confirmed to play at the London Legacy Cup next weekend (September 12-13).
Mariusz Wlazly will lead PGE Skra Be?chatów at the event, the biggest volleyball competition in England since the London 2012 Olympics.
And the Polish World Championship squad member cannot wait to compete at the Copper Box Arena, saying: ”We, as a team, are very pleased that we can take part in this tournament.
“We are training really hard at this time in pre-season, so I can guarantee that we will be able to play high level volleyball in London.”
You may also want to watch:
Volleyball may not have a large mainstream media profile in the UK, but the name of Mariusz Wlazly will strike a chord in any volleyball-mad country, where he would have instant name and image recognition.
Named as the Most Valuable Player at the 2014 FIVB Men’s World Championships, he was instrumental in leading Poland to the title on home turf and his efforts resulted in him also being named International Athlete of the Year 2014 at the annual SportAccord Convention in Russia earlier this year.
- 1 Flooding causes road and rail disruption across east London
- 2 Canning Town bus station stays closed as 'urgent' investigation underway
- 3 The secondary schools in Newham rated outstanding by Ofsted
- 4 Appeal after man allegedly 'spits at' woman travelling through Whitechapel, West Ham and Barking
- 5 High Court judge rules no further action needed over embargo breach by Newham company boss
- 6 Carpenters Estate neighbours to vote on redevelopment plans
- 7 Weather warning in place with east London set for thundery weekend
- 8 Boy, 16, found stabbed in Custom House
- 9 Man injured as glass falls from Canning Town bus station canopy
- 10 Man suffers 'life-changing' injuries in Plaistow bicycle crash
Wlazly, along with fellow Polish internationals Michal Winiarski and Andrzej Wrona, are the standout names in the PGE Skra Be?chatów squad named to compete at the London Legacy Volleyball Cup.
Lisa Wainwright, chief executive of Volleyball England, said: “With Mariusz confirmed to attend the event, having himself and his Polish National squad teammates Michal and Andrzej, heading the PGE Skra Be?chatów squad gives the whole event that touch of stardust that only global players of his stature can provide.”
Konrad Piechocki, chairman of PGE Skra Be?chatów, added: “We are very pleased that PGE Skra will take part in London Legacy Cup and will be able to play in front of thousands of spectators.
“As a well-known brand, a club that has current world champions in the team and as a representative of one of the top leagues in the world we are very keen to promote volleyball outside Poland.
“Our aim is to share our experience with volleyball in England and our partners IBB Polonia London. This tournament is a great opportunity to promote our great sport.”
Vice-chairman Grzegorz Stawinoga added: “The invitation from Volleyball England was one we couldn’t refuse. We come to London to represent the whole of Poland not only the city of Be?chatów.
“We are very keen to continue our partnership with IBB Polonia London to further promote volleyball in England.”
The London Legacy Volleyball Cup takes place at the Copper Box Arena at the Queen Elizabeth Olympic Park in Stratford on September 12-13.
See londonlegacyvolleyballcup.com for further information.