UEL fight back to down Westminster

PUBLISHED: 08:15 11 November 2016

Action from UEL's latest basketball match (pic Cristian Cojocariu)

Action from UEL's latest basketball match (pic Cristian Cojocariu)


UEL 72 Westminster 62

UEL men’s basketball second team produced a stirring second-half fightback to come out on top in their latest BUCS outing to continue their winning momentum.

They went into their game against the University of Westminster after beating London Metropolitan University last week.

Westminster won the tip-off and were first on the score board, scoring from the free throw line as they started to take an early lead.

However, halfway through the first quarter UEL started to get some points on the board after scoring a couple of two pointers.

There was some sloppy play in the first quarter as both sides looked to be using it as a warm-up to get to grips with the pace of the game.

But towards the end of the opening period UEL narrowed the gap by scoring some three pointers and at the end of the first quarter they were trailing 19-10.

The second quarter saw an improvement from both UEL and Westminster, resulting in both teams continuing to increase their score.

But a couple of chances missed from the free throw line from UEL still meant that they trailed their opponents at half time by a 36-25 margin.

UEL came out much improved in the third quarter after a much-needed half-time team-talk was required to cut the points gap.

The team responded well by opening the scoring in the quarter and the gap was reduced to eight points within two minutes of the restart as UEL looked to pile the pressure on their opponents.

UEL’s defending was also improved as they prevented their opponents from scoring numerous times, with the gap down to just two points at the final break as UEL fought back hard.

Westminster moved four points up at the start of the final quarter, but it eventually turned out to be UEL’s best, as they continued to fight back and scored two pointers and from the free throw line.

With only three minutes to go UEL finally took the lead by two points and, as the game moved towards its conclusion they were able to show their talent, as some incredible three-pointers were scored to widen the margin to double figures.

Applause from the crowd was well deserved as the game proved a true test of UEL’s character, with the team refusing to let their heads drop at any point ahead of their trip to the University of Greenwich.

If you value what this story gives you, please consider supporting the Newham Recorder. Click the link in the orange box above for details.

Become a supporter

This newspaper has been a central part of community life for many years. Our industry faces testing times, which is why we're asking for your support. Every contribution will help us continue to produce local journalism that makes a measurable difference to our community.

Latest from the Newham Recorder