Swimathon Foundation launch Covid-19 relief fund to support London aquatics community
- Credit: Archant
London’s swimming coaches and clubs are set to benefit from grant funding being offered from The Swimathon Foundation who have launched a scheme to help those who are experiencing short-term financial hardship due to the impact of coronavirus.
Grants between £250 and £1,000 will be given to small swimming and aquatic organisations who have been impacted by the effects of COVID-19. These range from National Governing Body Affiliated Swim Clubs, Aquatic Clubs and Swim Schools to Independent Swimming Organisations.
Swimathon President and Olympic gold medallist, Duncan Goodhew MBE, said: “I’m thrilled that we’re able to support members of the London swimming community at this difficult time.
“Almost all swimming clubs are run by a few individuals who put in an immense amount of voluntary time to keep clubs afloat.
“Now that hard times have hit, they may be really struggling with all of the costs associated. These are the unsung heroes of the sport and it’s so important that we do all we can to help them get through this tough time.”
You may also want to watch:
To be eligible to apply for a grant, applicants should either be a registered or affiliated club or swim school with a National Governing Body or a small, local swimming organisation that may not be a traditional swim club/school but is working on local level to provide swimming or aquatic activity in their communities.
Applicants are welcomed from all over England, Wales, Scotland and Northern Ireland.
- 1 Take a peek inside The Boleyn Tavern as it prepares to welcome punters
- 2 'Dangerous and predatory' Newham man found guilty of child sex assault
- 3 Investigation launched after two young men stabbed in Newham
- 4 Met launches summer operation as teen killings surge
- 5 Demand for urgent action as Newham lags behind in Covid-19 jabs
- 6 Seven charged after police crackdown on alleged county lines
- 7 Free cultural events and family activities in the Royal Docks announced
- 8 Richard House Children's Hospice sensory garden equipment stolen
- 9 Arrests in Ilford and East Ham as police target suspected county lines gang
- 10 Charting Jack the Ripper's 'rival' in the West Ham murders
‘Swimathon’ is the UK’s biggest annual recreational swimming event taking place over one weekend at over 600 pools across the UK with 750,000 people taking part since the first event in 1986, raising over £50 million for charities in the process.
This year’s event has been rearranged for 16-18 October.
For more information about The Swimathon Foundation and to apply for the COVID-19 Relief Fund grant, visit www.swimathonfoundation.org.