Super Swords fencers earn selection for European and World Championships
Kristjan Archer and Amol Rattan have been selected for the Great Britain squad to compete at both the World and European Junior Fencing Championships.
Archer won his first international medal recently, bringing home bronze at the under-20 men’s Foil International in Madrid.
The Newham Swords fencer now tops Britain’s under-20 men’s foil rankings, with club-mate Rattan close behind in third, after his eighth-place finish in Madrid.
The duo will travel to Croatia next month for the European Junior Championships and then go to Moscow in April for the World Junior Championships.
They will be joined by club-mates Jai Birch – Britain’s leading under-17s fencer – and Ife Kubler, while Kaloyan Danchev will represent Bulgaria.
You may also want to watch:
Swords head coach Pierre Harper said: “I am so proud of the fact Newham Swords has managed to produce five fencers for the Cadet/Junior Europeans and Worlds.
“No other fencing club in the country has managed to achieve this in one season.”
- 1 Police release image after teenager stabbed in Forest Gate robbery
- 2 Stratford councillor who slammed Boris's bike ride cycles 30 mile round trip across London
- 3 Arrests after girl, 16, falls onto tracks at King George V DLR
- 4 Police appeal for help after woman raped in Beckton
- 5 Doctors urge Tower Hamlets mayor to end support for Silvertown Tunnel
- 6 Trust partnership helps free school meals pupils to eat healthy at home
- 7 Double murder accused remanded in custody over ‘brutal’ stabbings
- 8 Jarrod Bowen hails West Ham as they dug deep to seal victory over West Brom
- 9 Forest Gate man, 21, charged with dangerous and drug driving
- 10 Tribute to 7th Barts Health Trust worker to die of Covid-19
Harper and club manager Linda Strachan will accompany the talented five at both the Europeans and the Worlds.
Strachan said: “This has been our most successful season ever, when you also take into account the fact that we have had a further four fencers compete for England at under-15 level this season.”
Archer, Rattan and Kubler, plus club-mate Acland Bryant, are now preparing for the Junior Commonwealth Championships where they will represent England in Jersey.