Stratford judo stars bring home medal haul
Stratford Judo Kwai members bagged a hatful of medals at the Tower Hamlets and Dragon Judo Club Invitation Championship recently.
The Gibbins Road-based club was in outstanding form as they won seven gold, one silver and five bronze medals in the junior novice section and eight golds, four silvers and a bronze in the junior open grade event.
Nine-year-old Rosie Boe excelled in the under-25kg category of the junior open grade where she won gold, while Harry Mateescu (13) impressed as he finished unbeaten in all of his six matches to clinch the gold medal. Farida Salea (14) also won gold in the under-60kg category.
Notable performances in the junior novice section were recorded by Mansur Aslakharob who won gold and an additional trophy for the best fights.
Marko Laughlin (eight) won gold in the under-25kg competition and Gabriel Ipanga, also eight-years-old, matched the gold-medal winning performance, finishing unbeaten in the under-30kg section.
You may also want to watch:
Stratford Judo Kwai representative Mick Foulger said: “It was a long day and some of them had six fights. They all did exceptionally well.”
- 1 Vandal targets St Antony statue outside church in Forest Gate
- 2 Ex-police officer among group jailed for £850k intercept from rival gangs
- 3 Rumours over empty Stratford estate homes quashed in meeting
- 4 Family of man who died after attack in Canning Town pays tribute to a 'loving, generous' father
- 5 'Petrified' cat reunited with kittens after 'pursuit' in Canning Town
- 6 Architects awarded £300K contract for Stratford Station makeover
- 7 Lewis Hamilton-backed vegan burger joint to open in Stratford
- 8 Blaze under control at block of flats being built in Canning Town
- 9 Newham charity hands out 500 food parcels to 'vulnerable' international students struggling with Covid-19
- 10 Woman arrested in Custom House fatal stabbing and shooting investigation