St Joachim’s collect handball prize
- Credit: Archant
St Joachim’s Primary came out on top in a mixed handball competition for year five and six pupils.
A total of 12 schools took part in the key stage two event, staged by the Langdon Academy Sport Partnership, with St Joachim’s beating St Edward’s 5-4 in the final.
St Joachim’s beat Elmhurst in the group phase, then saw off St Luke’s (4-2) in the quarter-finals and edged past Aldersbrook (5-4) in the semi-finals.
St Edward’s defeated St Joachim’s (5-3) and Elmhurst (3-1) in the group stage, then eased past St James’ (5-1) in the last eight.
But after beating Nelson (3-1) in the last four, they had to settle for the runners-up medals.
You may also want to watch:
Aldersbrook also earned some reward as they beat Nelson (5-1) in the third-place play-off.
St Francis’, Lathom, Cleveland, St Helen’s and Sandringham were the other Newham schools to take part in the tournament on a busy day of handball.
- 1 Fried chicken outlet to open at Westfield in Stratford
- 2 More than 20 places in Newham hit by flooding, council says
- 3 Clean-up underway after flash floods hit Newham
- 4 Tributes to Pearly King of Newham who has died aged 79
- 5 School's out!: Newham puts on jam-packed summer holiday activities programme
- 6 Ceiling panels collapse and operations cancelled at hospital after flooding
- 7 The secondary schools in Newham rated outstanding by Ofsted
- 8 Queen's 1983 visit to St Mary Magdalene's marked with unveiling of new plaque
- 9 Kitchens from independent chefs coming to Beckton in Raymond Blanc-supported project
- 10 Appeal after man allegedly 'spits at' woman travelling through Whitechapel, West Ham and Barking