Silver lining for Shaw with second place
Three young fencers from Newham Swords made the top five of the Southampton National Junior Premier Series Event recently.
Lister Community School pupil Rachel Shaw won silver in the under-14s girls’ event while team-mate Alice Campbell gained fifth place in the same event, after losing to the eventual winner on the last hit.
In the boys’ under-14s competition, James Paige set a personal best when he took bronze.
Shaw, Campbell and Paige now prepare for the second Premier Series Event, taking place in Bristol next month.
You may also want to watch:
eanwhile, club-mates Ife Kubler, Amol Rattan and Kristjan Archer are all focusing on the Junior Commonwealth Games, where they will represent England in Jersey next month.
Club manager, Linda Strachan, said: “We are so proud of the fact that Newham Swords now has seven fencers representing England at under-15 and under-20 level, as well as a further six representing Great Britain at under-17 and under-20 level.”
- 1 Tributes to Newham cop who died after positive Covid-19 test
- 2 Covid vaccination hub opening in Westfield next week
- 3 NHS nurse assaulted at east London hospital
- 4 Police release image after teenager stabbed in Forest Gate robbery
- 5 Labour Party investigates second Newham councillor over antisemitism
- 6 What a load of old rubbish: Fly-tippers keep charity staff out of building
- 7 Arrests after girl, 16, falls onto tracks at King George V DLR
- 8 Newham housing association offers homes to Hackney Council with £10m price tag
- 9 One in 20 may have had Covid-19 last week in Redbridge, Newham and Barking and Dagenham, figures suggest
- 10 Stratford dance and music hub gets £700k boost