School Sport: St Bonaventure’s boys secure Simmonds Cup
- Credit: Archant
Pupils earn prestigious athletics prize
St Bonaventure’s year seven athletes were celebrating before the half-term break after winning the Smmonds Cup.
The invitational competition includes some of the best athletics schools, with many independent and grammar schools taking part.
Some are able to use state-of-the-art facilities, while St Bons hold their PE lessons and training sessions in the senior playground, but the Newham youngsters showed plenty of passion, determination and spirit to claim the silverware.
Curriculum leader for PE Sam Bartlett was rightly proud of his athletes and thinks their success will spur them on to do well in other competitions.
You may also want to watch:
He said: “Schools from all over the London boroughs take part in the Simmonds Cup and our year seven squad pipped Whitgift Independent School from South Croydon to the title.
“Our boys performed exceptionally well in both track and field and they were a credit to our school. They even met up with GB athlete Perri Shakes-Drayton at Mile End Stadium who was happy to pose for a photo with our excited boys.”
- 1 Flooding causes road and rail disruption across east London
- 2 Canning Town bus station stays closed as 'urgent' investigation underway
- 3 The secondary schools in Newham rated outstanding by Ofsted
- 4 Appeal after man allegedly 'spits at' woman travelling through Whitechapel, West Ham and Barking
- 5 Carpenters Estate neighbours to vote on redevelopment plans
- 6 High Court judge rules no further action needed over embargo breach by Newham company boss
- 7 Weather warning in place with east London set for thundery weekend
- 8 Brilliant moment for Okoflex as he nets in West Ham's win at Celtic
- 9 Man injured as glass falls from Canning Town bus station canopy
- 10 Man suffers 'life-changing' injuries in Plaistow bicycle crash