Rugby: East London’s Yiannakou gets Cyprus call-up
- Credit: Archant
East London Rugby Club’s Rob Yiannakou has been celebrating after receiving an international call-up.
The first-team forward has been selected by Cyprus for their Rugby Europe Conference international in Serbia on April 28.
And it is a remarkable achievement for 18-year-old second row Yiannakou, who has been East London’s young player of the year for the past two seasons.
It is the youngster’s ability to play in a number of positions amongst the forwards that has attracted the Cyprus selectors.
And Yiannakou is one of four new caps included in the Cyprus squad, nicknamed the Moufflons, a horned sheep which is the country’s national animal.
You may also want to watch:
Yiannakou said: “It is a great honour to be called up and was totally out of the blue.
“I’m looking forward to going to Belgrade with the squad and if selected, doing myself and East London proud.”
- 1 The Boleyn Tavern in East Ham to welcome back punters after £1.5m restoration
- 2 Dagenham & Redbridge interested in former Leyton Orient full-back Sam Ling
- 3 Arrests in Ilford and East Ham as police target suspected county lines gang
- 4 11 films and TV shows shot in Newham
- 5 Looking back: five years since West Ham United left the Boleyn
- 6 US burger chain Wendy's set to open first London restaurant in Stratford
- 7 Exploding aerosol cans 'contributed to rapid spread' of Silvertown blaze
- 8 Primary school recognised for supporting pupils' mental wellbeing
- 9 Plaistow woman shaves her head for charities
- 10 Richard House Children's Hospice sensory garden equipment stolen