Newham Heritage Month to host Who Wants To Be An Olympian? show
- Credit: Pakiki Theatre
A fun interactive game show celebrating the 10-year anniversary of the London 2012 Olympics will be performed during Newham Heritage Month in June.
Pakiki Theatre will be performing 'Who Wants To Be An Olympian?' on selected dates at several Newham Libraries, to celebrate the borough's Olympic and Paralympic heroes.
The show will be free to attend and is designed for families.
The theme of Newham Heritage Month 2022 is 'What London 2012 Means To Us' and Pakiki Theatre have been meeting local sports stars, including Amy Marren, Linda Strachan, Mik Basi and brother Jumbo in the course of their research for the show.
Co-directors Vickie Holden and Raewyn Lippert have been privileged to hear first-hand memories from these Newham legends and have also spoken to Sport Editor Lee Power about his experience of reporting on the London 2012 Games.
The audience will learn about famous local Olympic and Paralympic heroes, the legacy of the Games, as well as the history and heritage associated with London 2012.
They will also find out about sporting opportunities available in the borough and experience the excitement of the London 2012 Games in a fun and interactive way.
- 1 Teenager from Newham found safe and well
- 2 Wanted: Five people Newham police wish to speak to
- 3 The ex-gang member who turned from crime to become a pastor mentoring young people
- 4 Custom House school showing evidence of becoming outstanding, Ofsted says
- 5 Gainsborough Avenue stabbing: 14-year-old boy charged
- 6 Newham invites community to explore NHS jobs at local fair
- 7 Pensioner dies after being critically injured in East Ham crash
- 8 Two arrests after multi-vehicle crash on Barking Road
- 9 East London NHS trusts appoint first group chief executive amid 'collaboration'
- 10 Burglars jailed for violent Upminster burglary where boy, 11, was shot
Newham Heritage Month is organised by Newham Council and generously supported by the National Lottery Heritage Fund and Royal Docks Team.
Pakiki Theatre were involved in Newham Heritage Month 2021, performing the 'Knowing Newham' Hero Hunt and are thrilled to be involved again this year.
Shows are aimed at six to 12-year-olds and accompanying adults, with free performances set to take place at fully accessible venues including East Ham Library (June 11, 10am), Plaistow Library (June 18, 10am), Canning Town Library (June 18, 2.30pm) and Stratford Library (June 19, 2.30pm).
Places can be booked by visiting the Newham Heritage Fund website at newhamheritagemonth.org/contributors/pakiki-theatre or scanning a QR code.
The National Lottery Heritage Fund has sponsored 10 shows to be performed in local primary schools, aimed at KS2 children. Bookings can be made at pakikitheatre.co.uk.
*Pakiki Theatre is an arts organisation formed in 2018 by Vickie Holden and Raewyn Lippert, who create new and inspiring work.
They love working with communities to bring to life local heritage for the next generation.
Visit pakikitheatre.co.uk/about-us for more details or follow @pakikitheatre on Twitter, @theatrepakiki on Facebook and pakikitheatre on Instagram.