Newham beaten by Bentley despite super Salman century
- Credit: Tim Edwards
Newham slipped to a six-wicket defeat against Bentley in their latest Hamro Foundation Essex League Division Three fixture at Flanders Field.
Having chosen to bat first, they looked well set at 164-4 as opening batsman Salman Khan struck a superb century.
Khan hit eight sixes and nine fours to reach 100 off 93 balls, but his departure led to a lower-order collapse to 207 all out in the 44th over.
Aamir Shaukat hit 10 boundaries in his 53 and Khawar Khurshid had early success with the ball in Bentley's reply.
Oshada Pahalawithinage (2-56) nabbed a brace to reduce the visitors to 71-3 but Dan Matthews (67) and Tom Mann then put on 112 for the fourth wicket to take Bentley to the brink.
You may also want to watch:
Mann was unbeaten on 72 from 67 balls when Bentley's victory was secured in the 44th over, leaving Newham beaten for a fourth time in seven outings this season.
They will look to bounce back when they welcome mid-table rivals Woodford Green to Flanders Field this weekend.
- 1 The Boleyn Tavern in East Ham to welcome back punters after £1.5m restoration
- 2 11 films and TV shows shot in Newham
- 3 Arrests in Ilford and East Ham as police target suspected county lines gang
- 4 Exploding aerosol cans 'contributed to rapid spread' of Silvertown blaze
- 5 Looking back: five years since West Ham United left the Boleyn
- 6 Primary school recognised for supporting pupils' mental wellbeing
- 7 Free summer school offers music, fashion, hip hop dance and more
- 8 Richard House Children's Hospice sensory garden equipment stolen
- 9 Average house price in Newham slides again after record February
- 10 US burger chain Wendy's set to open first London restaurant in Stratford