Newham & Essex Beagles star Emma Nwofor dreaming of Tokyo Olympics
- Credit: European Athletics
Newham & Essex Beagles hurdler Emma Nwofor believes her first hand experience at competing in a major international senior championships has given her a good marker for her dream attempt to qualify for this summer's Tokyo Olympics.
The 24-year-old was eliminated in the opening rounds of women's 60m hurdles at the European Indoor Championships last week in Poland after clocking 8.24secs in her heat.
Fellow GB team-mates Cindy Sember and Tiffany Porter, who run for Woodford Green Essex Ladies, went on to claim silver and bronze respectively in the final which was won by defending champion Nadine Visser from the Netherlands.
"It was a good experience," Nwofor said. "It wasn’t the time that I wanted, but being in a new environment in a new territory made it a really good experience. This is my first senior international event and it was good to get my foot in the water.
"I know I can make the team now, so it’s just about progressing and trying to make the Olympic team. I’m going to give it my all."
You may also want to watch:
And Nwofor, who hopes to qualify for the much-delayed Tokyo 2020 in her specialist hepthatlon discipline, was satisfied with her indoor campaign.
"It’s been good," she added. "My main event is the heptathlon. I was toying around with the hurdles because I knew it was the European Indoors and my aim was to try and make that, which I did and that’s really cool.
- 1 Ex-police officer among group jailed for £850k intercept from rival gangs
- 2 Vandal targets St Antony statue outside church in Forest Gate
- 3 Rumours over empty Stratford estate homes quashed in meeting
- 4 Family of man who died after attack in Canning Town pays tribute to a 'loving, generous' father
- 5 'Petrified' cat reunited with kittens after 'pursuit' in Canning Town
- 6 Lewis Hamilton-backed vegan burger joint to open in Stratford
- 7 Architects awarded £300K contract for Stratford Station makeover
- 8 Blaze under control at block of flats being built in Canning Town
- 9 Newham charity hands out 500 food parcels to 'vulnerable' international students struggling with Covid-19
- 10 Woman arrested in Custom House fatal stabbing and shooting investigation
"Having the expectation of trying to run good times made it more bitter when I saw the time that I ran because I know that I can run faster."