Newham continue impressive season with another win
- Credit: Archant
A round-up of the latest matches involving teams from Newham CC
Champions-elect Newham earned another victory in the Essex County Premier Division with a 100-run win at Ace-Avengers.
Ace won the toss and elected to bowl first, and early wickets fell for Newham which caused the run rate to slow down.
Waseem Majeed top scored with 52, while Mujakkir Hussain (34), Amir Shaukat (31) and Adnan Ashraf (25) all made useful contributions before Newham were all out for 184.
Newham were in fine form with the ball as their seamers combined took seven wickets.
Robin Bansal was excellent in getting assistance from the pitch, but keeping the ball in good areas.
Bansal was also assisted by Muhammad Farooq, who performed well at the other end. Bansal collected his maiden five-wicket haul for Newham and ended with figures of 5-29.
- 1 Man held in murder probe after woman fatally stabbed in Custom House
- 2 Queen’s Platinum Jubilee: Street parties and road closures in Newham
- 3 'Unexplained': Man dies after being found unresponsive in Plashet Park
- 4 Man dies after falling unwell in Stratford
- 5 Homes under the Planner: Applications lodged and approved in Newham
- 6 Man allegedly commits GBH after robbing bottles of champagne from Tesco
- 7 Two teenagers charged after 12 phones nicked in stealing spree
- 8 Iceland offers over 60s discount on shopping bill every week
- 9 Man charged with fatal stabbing of woman in Custom House
- 10 Wanted: Five people Newham police wish to speak to
The tail was then swept up partly by Shaukat, before a runout signalled the end of the Ace innings with the hosts all out for just 84.
The victory for Newham was a fitting way for Arjun Rana to end his four-year spell with the club.
After a successful time with the club, Rana is heading off for a new adventure in Australia.
Rana, though, will no doubt be looking to see how Newham get on when they host Barking in the league on Saturday.
Newham’s seconds also claimed a win over Ace opposition as they triumphed by two wickets in the Essex County Division One encounter.
After being put into the field at Flanders field, Newham dismissed the visitors for 144 as Zaheer Khan finished with 2-12.
Imran Mohammed top scored with 65 in reply for Newham as they completed their chase in the 32nd over.
There was no such joy for Newham thirds, however, as they went down by three wickets against Super Rangers in their Essex County Division Two fixture.
Karthikeyan Ganesan top scored with 42 for the thirds as they were all out for 149 in their innings.
Though Ganesan then shone with the ball, taking 5-28, Super Rangers were able to complete their chase in the 26th over.