Taekwondo: McNeish strikes gold at German Open
- Credit: Archant
Plaistow’s Christian McNeish struck gold at the German Open.
The 22-year-old beat Holland's Fahd Zaouia in the final of the under-68kg division to claim his first title of 2020.
And McNeish was one of three medalists for GB in Hamburg, as Josh Calland and Madison Moore bagged bronze.
'I felt good and had been training hard, so I was confident going into the tournament,' said McNeish.
'It is always nice to be on the podium, especially when you get gold.
You may also want to watch:
'Unfortunately there is no time to celebrate as we have the Belgian Open coming up shortly.
'Now I'm back into training like normal, I will continue to push hard and focus for up and coming tournaments.'
- 1 Police release image after teenager stabbed in Forest Gate robbery
- 2 Arrests after girl, 16, falls onto tracks at King George V DLR
- 3 Stratford councillor who slammed Boris's bike ride cycles 30 mile round trip across London
- 4 Police appeal for help after woman raped in Beckton
- 5 Doctors urge Tower Hamlets mayor to end support for Silvertown Tunnel
- 6 Trust partnership helps free school meals pupils to eat healthy at home
- 7 Double murder accused remanded in custody over ‘brutal’ stabbings
- 8 Jarrod Bowen hails West Ham as they dug deep to seal victory over West Brom
- 9 Forest Gate man, 21, charged with dangerous and drug driving
- 10 NHS 'concerned' about Covid vaccine uptake in Newham
Success will give McNeish a notable boost ahead of the forthcoming European Championships, which take place in Zagreb, Croatia from May 7-10.
He won the European title in Russia in 2018 and is hoping to be selected as part of the GB squad once again, adding: 'I will do what I can to try and make it happen because I would love to become a two-time European champion.'
Calland performed well, stepping up to under-80kg, and his run to the last four included the scalp of former world champion Tahir Gulec.
Moore competed well at under-49kg, having won golds at the 2019 Austrian and Luxembourg Open.