Homeless charities to benefit from Tower Hamlets v Clapton match
- Credit: Archant
Essex Senior League teams Clapton and Tower Hamlets have joined forces this weekend to help raise money for local homeless charities.
The event was set up by Tower Hamlets and former Tons assistant manager Neil Day, and if the gate exceeds 100 at Saturday’s Essex Senior League game between the two teams at the Mile End Stadium, the extra gate money will be given to homeless charities.
Clapton midfielder, and crowd favourite, Billy Wise knows all about the problems of being homeless and, despite this adversity, he has not only made his mark in the Clapton team but has also represented England in the Homeless World Cup in Mexico.
“Billy Wise is a player I have personally loved coaching and I think we can all relate to his story,” said Neil Day.
“This is great opportunity to keep the issue of homelessness to the fore through football and I previously coached at Tower Hamlets (when they were called Bethnal Green United).
You may also want to watch:
“I knew they were a team that would also embrace this idea. I’d like to pass on my thanks to manager AJ Olatunbosun, Adam Richardson and Mohammed Nural Hoque at Tower Hamlets for helping to make this a possibility and for their very positive comments towards the Clapton fans and team.”
The match takes place at Mile End Stadium on Burdett Road, London, E3 4HL on Saturday, kick off 3pm.
- 1 Ex-police officer among group jailed for £850k intercept from rival gangs
- 2 Vandal targets St Antony statue outside church in Forest Gate
- 3 Rumours over empty Stratford estate homes quashed in meeting
- 4 Family of man who died after attack in Canning Town pays tribute to a 'loving, generous' father
- 5 'Petrified' cat reunited with kittens after 'pursuit' in Canning Town
- 6 Lewis Hamilton-backed vegan burger joint to open in Stratford
- 7 Architects awarded £300K contract for Stratford Station makeover
- 8 Blaze under control at block of flats being built in Canning Town
- 9 Newham charity hands out 500 food parcels to 'vulnerable' international students struggling with Covid-19
- 10 Woman arrested in Custom House fatal stabbing and shooting investigation