Hockey: East London men’s firsts rescue draw against Blueharts thanks to late heroics from Sam Ecott

PUBLISHED: 09:00 25 October 2017

The new hockey season is now well underway (pic: George Phillipou/TGS Photo)

The new hockey season is now well underway (pic: George Phillipou/TGS Photo)

©TGS Photo +44 1376 553468

A round-up of the latest matches involving East London men’s hockey teams

Debutant Sam Ecott proved to be the hero for the East London Hockey Club’s Men’s second team as he salvaged a late point in their 3-3 with Blueharts seconds at the weekend.

They did it the tough way though as they found themselves 2-0 down at half time before Nicky Ivory and captain Dominic Tyler were able to level matters after an improved showing in the second period.

Parity didn’t last long though as Blueharts went back in front again and looked to be securing the win before Ecott netted in the final minute of the game to secure a dramatic late point.

The firsts couldn’t match that result as they lost out by the odd goal in five to Upminster firsts, while the thirds lost 3-1 to Redbridge & Ilford firsts with David Healy’s goal proving to be in vain for East.

There was another 3-3 draw on the day as Jordan Green, Alexander Hommers and Ryan Dunn scored in the fourths encounter with Braintree firsts.

Seb Tello and Thomas Hingston scored for the fifths against Clacton firsts, but they couldn’t inspire them to the win as they lost out 4-2.

East’s sixths remain top of their table and undefeated after a routine 5-0 win over Witham fourths.

They were 4-0 to the good at half time with Jonathan Ray, Sam Willis, James Lennard and Hiren Amin putting them in cruise control and almost certainly assured of victory.

East were not as clinical in the second period, but David O’Reilly saved the best until last as he netted the goal of the game to seal a comprehensive victory.

Meanwhile Lewis Clayton’s double hat-trick inspired the sevenths to a stunning 8-0 win over Old Southendians fourths.

It was an even spread of goals with four in the first half with Clayton scoring twice as Alex De Bacci and Duncan Knox also found the net.

Clayton found his flow in the second half though, with all four goals to secure the thumping victory.

Mohammad Noman netted for the eighths but couldn’t stop them from falling to a 4-1 loss to Old Southend after finding themselves 3-0 down at the break.

If you value what this story gives you, please consider supporting the Newham Recorder. Click the link in the orange box above for details.

Become a supporter

This newspaper has been a central part of community life for many years. Our industry faces testing times, which is why we're asking for your support. Every contribution will help us continue to produce local journalism that makes a measurable difference to our community.

Latest from the Newham Recorder