Clapton crash out of the FA Cup against Needham Market

PUBLISHED: 16:55 02 September 2017 | UPDATED: 16:55 02 September 2017

Clapton and Needham Market players shake hands ahead of their FA Cup match (Pic: Jacob Ranson)

Clapton and Needham Market players shake hands ahead of their FA Cup match (Pic: Jacob Ranson)


Clapton 0 Needham Market 3

Clapton have been knocked out of the FA Cup after suffering a 3-0 defeat to Bostik Premier Division side Needham Market.

The Tons dominated possession in the first-half, but second-half goals from Gareth Heath, Luke Ingram and Callum Harrison put the nail in the coffin of the host’s cup ambitions at the Old Spotted Dog.

The first chance of the match fell to the visitors, when Heath swung a free-kick way over the bar in the first minute of the match.

Three minutes the hosts got a chance of their own when striker Ikem Odeh made a great run down the right side and tried to pick one of his team-mates out in the box, but his cross was blocked and cleared for a corner.

Ryan Reed swung the corner into the box, but the visitors cleared the ball down the pitch.

The Tons kept pressing hard and dominated possessions in the oppositions half for the next five minutes.

Needham finally got the possession back and winger Luke Ingram was brought down just outside the box by left-back Tayo Awoderu and won a free-kick.

The Suffolk-based side failed to take advantage of the close range free-kick and it was Clapton who had the best chance of the first-half in the twelfth minute.

It was Greg Apele who had his shot blocked on the line, after he took the ball round the goalkeeper Daniel Gay, before fired a shot on target after Reed picked him out in the box.

Clapton kept pushing forward to try break the deadlock, but it was Needham who got the next real chance fifthteen minutes later, when Ingram found Heath in the box who headed the ball over the bar.

One minute later Jerry Jairette latched onto a loose ball and tried his luck from long range, the midfielder’s shot went high and wide.

They kept pressing on and Apele once again went close as his shot deflected off defender Sam Nunn and almost crept past Needhams goalkeeper Daniel Gay.

The visitors began to create a few chances of their own and Clapton winger Reed showed real fighting spirit as he tracked Ingram the whole length of the pitch before making a last ditch tackle just right of his own box.

In the final minute Reed back heeled the ball to team-mate Nathan Cook, who linked up well with the winger before getting it back and threading the ball across the edge of the box to find Apele, who fired wide.

It was a quiet first five minutes in the second-half until the visitors Sam Nunn had his headers blocked inside the box after Joe Whight picked him out from a corner.

Clapton had the run of the play for the next ten minutes, but it’s Needham who take the advantage, as Heath slotted home a cross in the sixty fifth minute.

The next twelve minutes of the match was back and forth, until the visitors extended their lead to 2-0, when Luke Ingram drove home a shot from just inside the box.

The goal gave Needham confidence and they made it 3-0 in the eighty third minute when Callum Harrison fired home a long range shot.

The visitors held firm and kept pressing until the final whistle to see off Clapton.

Clapton: Olajide, Vigo, Awoderu, Loblack, Ebengo, Sardinha, Reed, Jairette, Odeh (Obamakin 83), Cook, Apele (Morris 83).

Unused subs: Miller, Bouho, Kahie.

Needham Market: Gay, Dye, Coakley, Whight, D. Morphew, Nunn, Ingram, Heath, Gibbs (Booth 88), Harrison (Holland 84), Simmons.

Unused subs: Turner, Carragher, Cook.

Most Read

Most Read

Latest from the Newham Recorder

Hot Jobs

Show Job Lists