Barking punished Clapton’s slow start admits Thomas

PUBLISHED: 11:00 29 March 2016

Action from the Essex Senior League clash between Barking and Clapton (pic: Terry Gilbert)

Action from the Essex Senior League clash between Barking and Clapton (pic: Terry Gilbert)


Tons lost 3-1 at old rivals on Saturday and then had Monday’s final postponed

Clapton keeper Pape Diagne (pic: Terry Gilbert)Clapton keeper Pape Diagne (pic: Terry Gilbert)

Clapton assistant manager Andre Thomas conceded Barking showed their class during the opening half an hour of Saturday’s Essex Senior League clash.

The Tons made the short trip to Mayesbrook Park hoping to get some success against their local rivals, but weren’t focused enough.

And that was due to their Gordon Brasted Memorial Trophy final match, which was set to take place on Monday afternoon - 48 hours after the league fixture.

James Peagram hit a brace and John Bracknell scored as well for the home side all inside the opening 27 minutes.

Although Tony Cookey pulled one back for the visitors, it wasn’t enough and they couldn’t turn it around.

Thomas said: “It was a bitter pill to swallow and I think our heads were on the cup final because the first 25 minutes we never got out of first gear.

“Against top teams like Barking, they’ll punish you and they did, but we played well after going 3-0 down.

“I’m happy with what we did for the last 65 minutes, but the 3-0 deficit was just too much of a mountain to climb.”

Clapton’s frustration after Saturday was increased when Storm Katie caused their final against Stansted to be postponed due to a waterlogged pitch.

It was hugely disappointing for everyone involved with the Old Spotted Dog outfit and has been rescheduled for April 30.

But for one Tons member of staff, the postponement was all the more frustrating after a long trip down south for the final.

“Yesterday I was gutted the final wasn’t played. I felt sorry for the players and the fans who had three coaches ready to come and support us,” added Thomas.

“I was especially sorry for our physio Lizzy Mathews who left Newcastle early in the morning just to make it for the boys only to find out it was called off just as she arrived into Kings Cross.”

If you value what this story gives you, please consider supporting the Newham Recorder. Click the link in the orange box above for details.

Related articles

Become a supporter

This newspaper has been a central part of community life for many years. Our industry faces testing times, which is why we're asking for your support. Every contribution will help us continue to produce local journalism that makes a measurable difference to our community.

Latest from the Newham Recorder