Clapton climb to sixth
- Credit: Archant
Essex Senior League: Takeley 2 Clapton 4
Clapton moved up to sixth after a stunning first-half display at Station Road last night.
Kick-off was delayed by half an hour, but Tons wasted little time once play did get underway as Tony Cookey put them in front after only five minutes.
Sherwin Stanley doubled the visitors’ advantage on 10 minutes, with Cookey claiming his second goal of the night before the half-hour mark.
Reece Dobson replied for Takeley, but Tons had the last word of the first half as Stanley netted his second on the stroke of half time to put them 4-1 up.
You may also want to watch:
Alex Martin grabbed a second for the hosts five minutes after the restart, but there was no further scoring after that.
Clapton climbed above Sawbridgeworth as a result of their latest success, which took them to 63 points, and Michael Walther’s men make the short trip to lowly Waltham Forest tomorrow (Thursday), after seeing Saturday’s original meeting postponed due to a waterlogged pitch.
- 1 Ex-police officer among group jailed for £850k intercept from rival gangs
- 2 Vandal targets St Antony statue outside church in Forest Gate
- 3 Rumours over empty Stratford estate homes quashed in meeting
- 4 Family of man who died after attack in Canning Town pays tribute to a 'loving, generous' father
- 5 'Petrified' cat reunited with kittens after 'pursuit' in Canning Town
- 6 Lewis Hamilton-backed vegan burger joint to open in Stratford
- 7 Architects awarded £300K contract for Stratford Station makeover
- 8 Blaze under control at block of flats being built in Canning Town
- 9 Newham charity hands out 500 food parcels to 'vulnerable' international students struggling with Covid-19
- 10 Woman arrested in Custom House fatal stabbing and shooting investigation
Tons complete their league programme with a home match against in-form Stansted at the Old Spotted Dog on Saturday, in a dress rehearsal for their Gordon Brasted Memorial Trophy meeting on April 30.
London Bari visit second-placed FC Romania tonight (Wednesday), looking to build on their 4-2 win at Eton Manor on Monday night, while bottom club Newham are due to host Eton Manor at Tilbury’s Chadfields tomorrow evening.
Clapton: Diagne, Barry, Cook, Oshin, Moore, Ocran, Lemba, Waldron, Jairette, Stanley, Cookey. Subs: Briggs, Burkett, Ryan.