Clapton CFC women fall to defeat against Comets
- Credit: Archant
Clapton’s women’s team returned to action on Sunday, losing out with a 2-1 loss to Comets at The Hub in Regents Park.
The hosts went ahead early as a cross from the right evaded keeper Polly Adams and was headed in from close range.
The goal sparked a response from the east Londoners, with Emily Link attacking down the right. Her cross beat the goalkeeper and flashed across the goal line, but onrushing striker Maria Mendonca was unable to connect.
Then right at the end of the half, Clapton got back on level terms. After a neat one two between Link and Larissa Vieira, substitute Ciara Monahan fired a long range effort into the net.
On 58 minutes, it was Comets who restored their advantage with a fine, curling finish.
You may also want to watch:
There was a flurry of late activity as Clapton tried to salvage a point, with Vieira going closest with an attempt from an acute angle, but it was Comets who held on for the full points.
- 1 Steven Fry: Canning Town man to face court charged with murder
- 2 Police name Newham man fatally shot in Haringey
- 3 Man killed and two injured in triple shooting
- 4 US fried chicken chain Popeyes to open first UK outlet in Stratford
- 5 Newham town halls to be lit up in tribute to Sabina Nessa
- 6 First apartments to go on sale at 769-home development in Royal Docks
- 7 New primary school in Stratford welcomes first reception class
- 8 Sadiq Khan warns of flood threat in east London from climate emergency
- 9 Things to do: Explore east London this weekend
- 10 Steven Fry stabbing: Custom House victim named in murder investigation