Clapton CFC women thrash Sutton in season opener
- Credit: Garry Strutt
Clapton Community FC’s women’s team got the perfect start to their Greater London Premier season with a 5-0 victory over Sutton United U23s in Walthamstow on Sunday.
The visitors started strongly, testing Clapton goalkeeper Polly Adams on multiple occasions.
But it was Clapton who took the lead just before the break, when Emily Link converted a Li Steiner through-ball.
Manager Claudio Gomes changed the shape at half-time in order to address some of the problems that he felt had been stifling his team - and these tweaks seemed to help them come into their game.
Maria Mendonca doubled the lead just after the restart with a well-placed shot.
You may also want to watch:
Then on 67 minutes, Link buried a penalty in the bottom corner.
Late on, Mendonca made it four after fine work from Marta Boiro.
- 1 Steven Fry: Canning Town man to face court charged with murder
- 2 Police name Newham man fatally shot in Haringey
- 3 Man killed and two injured in triple shooting
- 4 Newham town halls to be lit up in tribute to Sabina Nessa
- 5 US fried chicken chain Popeyes to open first UK outlet in Stratford
- 6 New primary school in Stratford welcomes first reception class
- 7 First apartments to go on sale at 769-home development in Royal Docks
- 8 Things to do: Explore east London this weekend
- 9 Sadiq Khan warns of flood threat in east London from climate emergency
- 10 Steven Fry stabbing: Custom House victim named in murder investigation
Finally, on 84 minutes, debutant Marta Casanovas spun her marker to round off the scoring.
Next Sunday, Clapton will travel to play Islington Borough, who lost their opener 2-1 to Headstone Manor.