Clapton CFC go top of the table with Larkspur Rovers win
- Credit: Garry Strutt
Clapton Community's men's side went top of the MCFL Premier with a narrow 2-1 win at Larkspur Rovers on Saturday.
The Northolt-based home side were denied the lead by a couple of saves from Clapton keeper Jack Francis, first from a corner-bound drive then from an overhead kick.
A dangerous two footed challenge on right back Fama Sangare raised tempers, but only resulted in a booking for the offending player.
Then, just before the break, Clapton took the lead. Arthur Wright cut into the box from the right and fired into the middle, where it cannoned off a home defender and past the helpless keeper.
Clapton doubled their lead as Noah Adejokun burst into the box and almost managed to dribble around the goalkeeper.
You may also want to watch:
The Larkspur man managed to make the tackle, only for the ball to fall to an onrushing Wright, who smashed home emphatically.
Late on the hosts threatened to get back in the game before they were awarded a penalty when the assistant referee drew the referee's attention to a tug of the shirt in the box as a Larkspur forward was teeing up to shoot.
- 1 Steven Fry: Canning Town man to face court charged with murder
- 2 Police name Newham man fatally shot in Haringey
- 3 Man killed and two injured in triple shooting
- 4 US fried chicken chain Popeyes to open first UK outlet in Stratford
- 5 Newham town halls to be lit up in tribute to Sabina Nessa
- 6 New primary school in Stratford welcomes first reception class
- 7 First apartments to go on sale at 769-home development in Royal Docks
- 8 Things to do: Explore east London this weekend
- 9 Sadiq Khan warns of flood threat in east London from climate emergency
- 10 Steven Fry stabbing: Custom House victim named in murder investigation
It was dispatched in the bottom corner, to give the visitors a nervy last few minutes.