Clapton CFC women reach top of league with win over Comets
- Credit: Nick Davidson
Clapton Community FC women's team defeated Comets 2-0 on Sunday to take their place at the top of the Greater London Women's Football League premier division.
On a wet afternoon in Barnes, the two teams contested a competitive first half, with neither able to break a deadlock.
Clapton had a couple of half chances through Emily Link, but the Comets' goalkeeper twice dived at her feet to block.
It took something special to unlock the stubborn home defence. That came at 57 minutes when Marta Boiro curled a long-range free-kick into the corner.
Another Boiro free-kick was beaten away by the goalkeeper.
Comets applied some late pressure and had a great chance to equalise, but the shot was blasted just off target.
Then, right before the end, the visitors sealed the points. Some intricate passing between Li Steiner and Lenny Holmes released Maria Mendonca on a lightning break down the left.
- 1 Man jailed for rape after attacking woman walking back from Canning Town
- 2 'London is moving east': City Hall's Crystal move confirmed for New Year
- 3 Masks, PCR tests and boosters: New measures to combat Omicron variant
- 4 Alexandra Burke: Stratford Christmas concert cancelled over 'safety fears'
- 5 'Extremely violent' Forest Gate robbery filmed by onlookers
- 6 What are the chances of a white Christmas in London?
- 7 East London man charged with six terrorism offences
- 8 Nine rescue pets looking for homes this Christmas in east London
- 9 Members of Mali Boys gang jailed for supplying Class A drugs into Essex
- 10 Burglar posing as police officer 'preyed upon the elderly'
The winger centred so Link could clinch it for Clapton.