Non League: Clapton CFC 1 London Samurai 1 (8-9 on penalties)
- Credit: Archant
Clapton CFC’s men’s team lost the Alec Smith Premier Division Cup semi-final 9-8 on penalties to London Samurai Rovers after a 1-1 draw on Saturday.
Played at Mabley Green in Hackney, as the Wadham Lodge Stadium pitch is still waterlogged, this match pitted fifth and sixth in the MCFL Premier against each other.
The best chances of the first half saw Samurai miss an open goal and Clapton's Josh Adejokun fail to convert a one-on-one with the keeper.
After the break, Sherwin Stanley smashed the home side into the lead with a smart finish, but after having one chalked off for offside, Samurai got back level, capitalising on a poorly-defended corner.
Clapton hit the bar late on, missing out on the chance to seal their final spot, and the tie went straight to penalties.
You may also want to watch:
Samurai missed their second spot kick, but Cemal Agdelen did the same. Eleven penalties in a row were then scored as player after player held their nerve.
Finally, just before the keepers' turn to step up, Clapton defender Jordan Odofin knocked it against the post to end the marathon shootout.
- 1 Changes to controversial Newham parking scheme announced
- 2 'Clearly insufficient' - Canning Town teacher in charge of foodbank talks free school meal hampers
- 3 Violent gang stuff sock in elderly woman's mouth and steal her jewellery
- 4 Artist plans window exhibition to put Newham's artistic talent on the map
- 5 West Ham boss Moyes believes they have plenty more to come after Palace victory
- 6 Police release image after teenager stabbed in Forest Gate robbery
- 7 Police appeal for help after woman raped in Beckton
- 8 Arrests after girl, 16, falls onto tracks at King George V DLR
- 9 Covid vaccination hub opening in Westfield next week
- 10 Council rents offices to ambulance service to save money
With Clapton now eliminated from all cup competitions, the focus for Geoff Ocran's team will be solely on claiming promotion.