Canning Town’s Hallet stuns Benn for first win of pro career
- Credit: Picture: DANNY LOO
The latest boxing news from Newham
Canning Town's Lee Hallett won for the first time as a professional at the 17th attempt with a points victory over the previously unbeaten Harley Benn on Saturday.
The pair met at Stevenage FC's Lamex Stadium on a Frank Warren card headlined by Billy Joe Saunders' fight against Shefat Isufi for the WBO world super middleweight strap.
The 31-year-old Hallett had lost all 16 of his previous bouts since turning pro in April last year and was a heavy underdog against Benn, the son of former two-weight world champion Nigel.
However, the Canning Town super lightweight produced one of the biggest shocks of the year to stun Benn and secure a points triumph in the four-round contest.
You may also want to watch:
The victory was easily the highlight of Hallet's pro career to date on arguably the highest-profile card he has fought on.
The 31-year-old will hope that success is no flash in the pan and that he can build on it in his next bout.
- 1 Steven Fry stabbing: Man charged with murder to appear at Old Bailey
- 2 3D street art illusion brings Boleyn Ground to life
- 3 Fire damages house in East Ham
- 4 East London's 10 prettiest streets to visit
- 5 Steven Fry: Canning Town man to face court charged with murder
- 6 Police name Newham man fatally shot in Haringey
- 7 Canning Town charity marks fifth year with tributes to founder
- 8 Man killed and two injured in triple shooting
- 9 Haircuts, flu jabs and health care: Event to link up homeless and vulnerable people with free support services
- 10 Police appeal to bystanders in alleged rape case