Athletics: Beagles star Philip delighted with Berlin best
- Credit: PA Wire/PA Images
Newham & Essex Beagles star Asha Philip ensured a World Championships spot in Berlin on Sunday, writes Ziad Chaudry.
The 28-year-old ran the race of her life in the women's 100m at the Olympic Stadium and equalled her personal best of 11.10secs.
Poland's Ewa Swoboda won in a best of 11.07, as China's Xiaojing Liang (11.13) took third in a personal best.
Imani Lansiquot, who is currently second in the domestic rankings and hopes to join Philip and Dina Asher-Smith in Doha, was fifth in 11.20 having met the qualification standard with 11.09 in Switzerland.
And Philip, second to Asher-Smith at the British Championships and world trials, was delighted to turn her season round at just the right time, saying: "I wasn't thinking about anything else but the qualifying time.
You may also want to watch:
"I didn't want to give up. I didn't come this far to give up and I didn't give up. Even my legs and body telling me otherwise, I did not give up and got the qualifying time.
"I've equalled my PB and I haven't been that close for a while now because I've been injured for the last two years. To know I was able to come here and come to trials and come top two, then following week get the qualifying time, that was always my aim.
- 1 Police release image after teenager stabbed in Forest Gate robbery
- 2 Stratford councillor who slammed Boris's bike ride cycles 30 mile round trip across London
- 3 Arrests after girl, 16, falls onto tracks at King George V DLR
- 4 Police appeal for help after woman raped in Beckton
- 5 Doctors urge Tower Hamlets mayor to end support for Silvertown Tunnel
- 6 Trust partnership helps free school meals pupils to eat healthy at home
- 7 Double murder accused remanded in custody over ‘brutal’ stabbings
- 8 Jarrod Bowen hails West Ham as they dug deep to seal victory over West Brom
- 9 Forest Gate man, 21, charged with dangerous and drug driving
- 10 Tribute to 7th Barts Health Trust worker to die of Covid-19
"I have to perform when it matters and that's what I did. I performed at the trials and I performed here. I still go to the championships having that same fire."