Aldersbrook win borough football tournament
- Credit: Archant
Youngsters overcame challenge from plenty of rivals to triumph
Aldersbrook Primary School had plenty to celebrate after winning the London Borough of Newham Year Five & Six girls’ football competition.
Aldersbrook were one of 26 schools to take part in the competition, with entrants drawn from both the Langdon Academy Sport Partnership and the Cumberland School Sport Partnership
The initial group stage saw teams split into six groups, with two groups containing five teams and four groups containing four teams.
The teams that progressed from the group stages were Aldersbrook, Cleveland, Lathom, Avenue, Brampton, Vicarage, St Luke’s, Essex, North Beckton, St Joachim’s, Sandringham, St Winefride’s, Colegrave, Rosetta, Nelson and Langdon.
You may also want to watch:
Of those to reach the quarter-finals, Aldersbrook beat Avenue, Essex defeated Brampton, St Joachim’s saw off Sandringham and Nelson overcame Rosetta.
The semi-finals saw Aldersbrook triumph 1-0 over Essex, while Nelson beat St Joachim’s in a penalty shootout.
- 1 Police appeal for help after woman raped in Beckton
- 2 Footage shows crowd piling onto train at Canning Town station
- 3 Forest Gate man, 21, charged with dangerous and drug driving
- 4 Newham's Covid-19 case rate 'huge' but there is 'light at end of the tunnel'
- 5 Double murder accused remanded in custody over ‘brutal’ stabbings
- 6 NHS Nightingale London opens to patients without Covid-19
- 7 Volunteers out to bust Covid jab myths and false conspiracy theories
- 8 Dangerous driver arrested after police find drugs and £28k cash
- 9 NHS 'concerned' about Covid vaccine uptake in Newham
- 10 Serial fraudster who set up fake real estate company jailed for six years
Aldersbrook defeated Nelson 2-0 in the final, while St Joachim’s won the third-place play-off against Essex on penalties.