West Ham United boss David Moyes hailed his side following their 3-1 Carabao Cup win over Arsenal at London Stadium.

Strikes from Mohammed Kudus and Jarrod Bowen, following an early own goal by Ben White, sent the north Londoners crashing out.

And it ensured a miserable homecoming for former Hammers captain Declan Rice, who started on the bench as Gunners boss Mikel Arteta made six changes to his line-up for the fourth-round tie.

"It was a really good solid team performance," said Moyes, who made five changes of his own after Sunday's 1-0 home loss to Everton. 

"The forward players did a really good job and for long periods we were good defensively. For most of it we coped well.

"Maybe we are becoming quite a good cup team. I want to be a really good league team if I can be but if I can't quite do that then we have to do well in the cups if we can.

"We have only won against Arsenal, we don't get trophies for that."

Rice, who lifted the Europa Conference League trophy as West Ham captain in his final appearance for the club last season, was back at his old club for the first time since his £105million switch to the Gunners.

And he was the only goalscorer the last time West Ham beat Arsenal, in the Premier League in 2019.

"You should have signed for a big club" was the mischievous chant aimed at the 24-year-old when he came out to warm up.

But he saw West Ham take the lead after 15 minutes when Bowen's corner was inadvertently headed past Aaron Ramsdale by White at the near post.

The second goal arrived in the 50th minute when Ghana winger Kudus collected a long ball into the box from Nayef Aguerd, skipped past Oleksandr Zinchenko and rifled a low shot through the legs of Gabriel and into the net.

Much of the build-up to the match centred around the reception the England midfielder would receive and when he was sent on in the 56th minute the boos were quickly drowned out by a standing ovation from most of the home fans.

But, before Rice had a chance to get into the game, West Ham had a third after Bowen collected White's headed clearance and lashed it past Ramsdale via a deflection off Jakub Kiwior.

Martin Odegaard scored a consolation goal with the last kick but it was West Ham's night as they marched into the quarter-finals, with a trip to Anfield to take on Liverpool their reward.

"I'm very disappointed," said Gunners boss Arteta. 

"I'm responsible for that, we're out of the cup, we wanted to play a very different game and compete.

"The game took a direction because of the first goal but we have to see much more from the team and earn the right to win.

"I'm disappointed with myself. We wanted to play in a different way and we weren't able to do that. Every time we lose the pain is there."

*copy from Press Association.