Leyton Orient had to settle for a point against high-flying League One rivals Barnsley at Brisbane Road.

Joe Pigott fired the home side in front from the penalty spot in the first half, but the visitors hit back through Herbie Kane 20 minutes from time as honours finished even.

Jordan Graham came into the O's starting line-up in place of Ed Turns, in the only change from last weekend's 1-0 win at Carlisle.

But Barnsley had the first sight of goal when Mael De Geviney headed over from Kane's early free-kick for the visitors.

Pigott tried an acrobatic effort when Dan Happe flicked the ball on, but could not trouble Ben Killip in the visiting goal.

Pigott then met a Theo Archibald free-kick on 10 minutes, but his header hit the stanchion behind the Barnsley goal.

Ethan Galbraith had a shot blocked, before Sol Brynn produced a superb save to keep out Nicky Cadden on 16 minutes, after dropping Kane's corner.

And O's were awarded a penalty on 26 minutes when a Barnsley defender was adjudged to have handled the ball in the box, with Pigott converting from the spot.

Great defensive work by Brandon Cooper denied Devante Cole on the half-hour mark, with Archibald needing treatment from the physio soon after.

Cooper thwarted Max Watters in stoppage time, while Pigott picked out Archibald on the edge of the box at the other end, but Corey O'Keeffe did well to foil the Scot.

Barnsley's Josh Benson let a good chance go begging within a minute of the restart, but Pigott then found Ruel Sotiriou and his cross was cut out just before it could reach Galbraith.

Galbraith was denied by a fine Killip save on 55 minutes, before Pigott saw another lovely cross go to waste as O's continued to push and Cole had penalty claims turned down for the Tykes.

Happe headed wide from Archibald's corner on 62 minutes, before Pigott made way for Aaron Drinan in the first change of the day.

But Barnlsey were back on level terms moments later as Kane netted from outside of the box and he went close again just two minutes later with a shot deflected just wide.

The visitors were reduced to 10 men late on when Sam Cosgrove was dismissed for a second bookable offence, but Jordan Brown fired over and substitute Shaq Forde saw a last-gasp header saved by Killip.

Leyton Orient: Brynn, Happe, Brown, Pigott (Drinan 67), Sotiriou (Forde 88), Archibald, Cooper, El Mizouni, Galbraith (Moncur 88), Graham, Hunt. Unused subs: Howes, James, Sweeney, Turns.

Attendance: 8,642 (including 1,248 Barnsley fans).