Youth theatre company stages show on train
- Credit: Archant
A commuter train was the unlikely venue for a unique performance by Theatre Royal Stratford East.
More than 30 young performers staged Along these Lines, a programme of interactive theatre, dance and song which they had written based on everyday scenes and stories that are seen on public transport - while the train transported guests from Fenchurch Street to Leigh-on-Sea and back.
The show lasted ninety minutes for an invited audience of seventy people.
Train operator c2c and Theatre Royal Stratford East originally teamed up after the theatre was awarded two grants from the National Express Foundation, totalling £5,000.
The theatre has used the funding to run a programme of mentoring and performance skills for 20 young poets and provide an introduction to working in the arts for 30 budding artists.
You may also want to watch:
Karlos Coleman from Theatre Royal Stratford East, who directed the show, said: “The young people found it incredibly inspirational to put on a performance in such a unique environment and they were buzzing afterwards. Thank you to c2c and the National Express Foundation for all your help in making this happen.”
James Donnan, general manager of the National Express Foundation, said: “We’re delighted to have been able to provide this unique platform for young people from Theatre Royal Stratford East to showcase their talent. I’m sure the audience will never forget their train ride with a difference!”
- 1 Take a peek inside The Boleyn Tavern as it prepares to welcome punters
- 2 Investigation launched after two young men stabbed in Newham
- 3 Watch out for these disruptions to your journey by road and rail this week
- 4 The Boleyn Tavern in East Ham to welcome back punters after £1.5m restoration
- 5 Arrests in Ilford and East Ham as police target suspected county lines gang
- 6 11 films and TV shows shot in Newham
- 7 Levels youngsters sign Premier League and Football League contracts
- 8 US burger chain Wendy's set to open first London restaurant in Stratford
- 9 Dagenham & Redbridge interested in former Leyton Orient full-back Sam Ling
- 10 Connor Wood keen to keep developing at Leyton Orient under Kenny Jackett