Young tennis stars compete at Lee Valley finals
- Credit: Archant
Some of the UK’s brightest young tennis prospects will compete at the Lee Valley Hockey and Tennis Centre today.
After progressing through a tough series of regional heats, the 16 boys and 16 girls, will compete for the top trophy in the Powder Byrne Tournament finals.
The competitors will also enjoy an hour-long Dunlop coaching session with Great Britain Davis Cup team captain Leon Smith on the indoor courts at the Queen Elizabeth Olympic Park.
Tournament organiser Tamsin Barber said: “The standard of the finalists at this year’s Powder Byrne Trophy is higher than ever and we expect some great matches.
“The winners will be following in illustrious footsteps, including Oliver Golding who won the U12 Boys singles 10 years ago, and he has since gone on to win the US Open Junior Title and make his Men’s Singles debut at Wimbledon.”
You may also want to watch:
Regional heats for the under-9s tournament were held in Manchester, Oxford, Gosling and Cambridge with the winners progressing through to this finals event.
Lee Valley Hockey and Tennis Centre has six outdoor courts, plus four indoor, which are the same standard as those used in the US Open.
- 1 Halal butcher's aiming to be 'Harrods of meat industry' opens in Stratford
- 2 Car abandoned after triple shooting and stabbing at Forest Gate barber
- 3 Parking space row sees police called and woman left feeling 'vulnerable'
- 4 'Simply horrifying': Newham MPs react after stabbing of Sir David Amess
- 5 14 charged with alleged drug dealing and money laundering offences
- 6 Plan to transform Royal Docks into 'world-leading' cultural hub unveiled
- 7 Forest Gate townhouses scoop RIBA's Neave Brown award for 'affordable' housing
- 8 Beckton man due to be sentenced for sexual assault of young girl
- 9 Family given 'gift' of week to say goodbye to son who died at 10 minutes old
- 10 Man in critical condition after triple shooting in Newham
For more information visit visitleevalley.org.uk/hockeytennis.