Young people stand up for Richard House in Beckton
Young people from Newham are hoping to raise hundreds of pounds for Richard House Children’s Hospice in Beckton by hosting a community charity event in Plaistow.
There will be a �1 entrance fee to watch a cultural fashion show that aims to showcase the diversity of Newham as well as fundraising stalls selling cupcakes, face-painting, make up, local MCs, sports tournament and competitions.
The day is being organised entirely by 16-year-olds as part of the Summer of a Lifetime project, part of the government’s National Citizen Service Programme in partnership with the Dame Kelly Holmes Legacy Trust.
One of the organisers, Wendy Zadigue, a former Cumberland School pupil, said: “We went to visit Richard House last Monday and I actually cried. It was really emotional.
“I think it’s really good what they do there.”
You may also want to watch:
The Smile One More Day event will be held on Tuesday August 16 from 1 to 4pm at Hudson’s Youth Zone, Community Links Squash Club, Barclay Road, Plaistow.
- 1 Silvertown scrap yard blaze burns throughout night as crews remain on scene
- 2 Woman arrested in Custom House fatal stabbing and shooting investigation
- 3 Appeal to help find missing girl who may be in Dagenham, Ilford or Stratford
- 4 Newham's governance referendum: the case for both options
- 5 Man hit by car in alleged Canning Town 'fight' dies from injuries
- 6 Silvertown scrapyard blaze under control after crews battle for nine hours
- 7 Teenagers killed in London in 2021 so far nears 2020 total
- 8 Police name victim of Custom House fatal shooting and stabbing
- 9 Meet the candidates battling for votes in East Ham's by-election
- 10 Man fighting for life after being 'attacked and hit by car' in Canning Town