Young Newham cyclists to get free coaching in run up to London Youth Games
- Credit: Archant
Free coaching will be offered to young cyclists to help prepare a team representing Newham for the London Youth Games, sponsored by Balfour Beatty.
Olympic and World cycling champion Joanna Rowsell presented a £2,000 cheque to health group ActiveNewham on Friday (March 7) on behalf of the Balfour Beatty Sports Development Grants scheme.
The funds will be used to deliver ten weeks of free cycling coaching at Queen Elizabeth Olympic Park and will also go towards developing further opportunities in sailing and kayaking for Newham’s youngsters.
Ms Rowsell, who is a patron of the 2014 youth games, said: “It is really important that we maintain the momentum of London 2012 by ensuring young people have the opportunity to take part in competitive sport.
“The grants enable young people to discover a new activity and discover something about themselves, leading to a lifetime of sporting participation.”
You may also want to watch:
Balfour Beatty CEO Andrew McNaughton said: “Following London 2012, the Olympic Legacy is not just the responsibility of our politicians and community leaders; businesses can and should play their part too.”
The double-gold-medal winning cyclist showed her team pursuit gold from London 2012 to awestruck pupils from Chobham Academy, based within the park, after handing the cheque to Newham Council’s deputy mayor Lester Hudson.
- 1 Kacem Mokrane: Newham man amongst seven charged with 2017 murder
- 2 Watch the moment 'stolen' car drives into vehicles in East Ham
- 3 Steven Fry stabbing: Custom House victim named in murder investigation
- 4 Otas Sarkus: Two charged with murder after fatal shooting
- 5 Court date adjourned for Beckton man who sexually assaulted young girl
- 6 Machetes, zombie and lock knives: Five plead guilty after police seize 128 weapons in Plaistow
- 7 Plans to ease congestion at Stratford station receive £2m boost
- 8 Shadrach Ogie back in contention for O's trip to Bristol Rovers
- 9 Silvertown man jailed after police seize drugs with street value of £750k
- 10 Antonio and Rice fire West Ham to win over Dinamo Zagreb in Europa League
She had just returned from Colombia where she won gold in both the team and individual pursuit events.
This year’s grants will benefit over 3,000 children across 19 London boroughs and go towards providing free taster sessions, professional coaching and equipment purchase in 20 sports, including several Paralympic sports.