Young Newham athletes get �500,000 grant help
As Newham celebrated 100 days to go before the Olympic Games, young athletes were given a share of a �500,000 grant to help them achieve their sporting goals.
The GLL Sport Foundation, the charity behind the social enterprise that runs the Newham, Balaam, East Ham, and Atherton Leisure Centres, awarded 28 talented sports men and women from the borough with up to �1,250 to spend on training, travel, and equipment in the next year as well as free leisure centre membership.
One recipient, Hayley Willis, is a fighter with the Stratford Judo Club is on the junior, talent, and GB Olympic squads.
She said: “I want to go on to win major world and European championships and hopefully Olympic medals in the future. 2016 Olympics is my main goal.”
Former Olympian Sally Gunnell, patron of the GLL Sport Foundation, said: “I know from personal experience that many young athletes struggle to meet the costs associated with increased training and competition to reach their sporting dreams.”
You may also want to watch:
The Foundation announced the recipients of their grant scheme at the BT Tower on Monday April 16.
Balaam, East Ham, and Newham Leisure Centres also achieved a new quality accreditation, QUEST, which Steve Hannen, Newham partnership manager, said was “a fantastic reflection of the hard work and dedication of centre staff, and great news for our customers.”
- 1 Watch the moment 'stolen' car drives into vehicles in East Ham
- 2 Otas Sarkus: Two charged with murder after fatal shooting
- 3 Steven Fry stabbing: Custom House victim named in murder investigation
- 4 Machetes, zombie and lock knives: Five plead guilty after police seize 128 weapons in Plaistow
- 5 Kacem Mokrane: Newham man amongst seven charged with 2017 murder
- 6 West Ham Academy legend receives honorary doctorate from UEL
- 7 Depth up front is going to be vital says Leyton Orient boss Jackett
- 8 Jailed: 'Sadistically cruel' East Ham man who raped, assaulted victim
- 9 Otas Sarkus: Three men arrested after Upton Park fatal shooting
- 10 Silvertown man jailed after police seize drugs with street value of £750k