Young and old celebrate diversity
A group of elderly residents got together with school children as they celebrated culture and diversity with a variety of foods and languages.
The residents, from the Janson and Gurney supported home in Stratford, used the event to showcase the 13 different languages spoken among them and gave the youngsters an insight into how these cultures are celebrated.
The day kicked off with pupils from the West Ham Church School reciting a poem entitled ‘people of all nations’, and ended with a session of food tasting. The residents, who are from an East Living supported home, then joined the children in a spot of singing and dancing to traditional music from all over the world.
Resident Lucy Janowicz said: ‘‘I’ve really enjoyed today. I’ve had a chance to mingle and meet different people of different backgrounds, languages and age groups. It’s been a good turn out and I’m happy to be a part of it’’.
Sandra Holyome, a teacher at West Ham Church School, said: ‘‘Today has been a huge success and the children have had a great time learning about the different cultures and meeting the older people within the community.”
Hannah Gottschalk, Janson and Gurney scheme manager, said: ‘‘With so many diverse residents it’s important that we understand and recognise all cultures. Today we accomplished that and I’m so happy that we got to share this with the younger generation and I’m grateful for everyone’s hard work and dedication’’.
- 1 New documentary on murders of women whose bodies were hidden in freezer
- 2 Jailed: Teen who inflicted life-changing injuries as he squirted acid in boy's face
- 3 Overnight blaze at North Woolwich block of flats
- 4 Revealed: Hackney, Islington and Newham are boroughs with most LTNs
- 5 Newham man among UK's 'most wanted fugitives' who may be hiding in Spain
- 6 Man remains in critical condition after Stratford Station attack
- 7 Mother and daughter, 3, left without boiler as temperatures hit freezing
- 8 East London boroughs lag behind rest of country for Covid booster uptake
- 9 Travel disruptions: Hackney, Islington, Tower Hamlets, Newham
- 10 Sixth form rated Outstanding in all categories by Ofsted