Workers evacuated from the scene of waste plant fire in Silvertown tonight
Around 40 people have been evacuated from the scene of a fire in Silvertown tonight
The blaze is at the scrapyard of a waste management centre and is currently being fought by more than 30 firefighters. Roads close to the incident in Dock Road have been shut and the DLR train service between Canning Town and Silvertown stations are suspended.
Firefighters were alerted at 4.26pm.
A fireboat is now also at the scene.
Nearby residents report “loud bangs” and thick smoke at the scene and the London Fire Brigade said that a scrapyard is “fully alight”.
You may also want to watch:
Gas cylinders are involved in the fire which can explode when exposed to heat so a temporary hazard zone of around 200 metres has been established say London Fire Brigade.
Roads that are closed are the A1020 Silvertown Way between the A1020 Lower Lea Crossing roundabout and Thames Road/Pontoon Dock.
- 1 Ex-police officer among group jailed for £850k intercept from rival gangs
- 2 Vandal targets St Antony statue outside church in Forest Gate
- 3 Rumours over empty Stratford estate homes quashed in meeting
- 4 Lewis Hamilton-backed vegan burger joint to open in Stratford
- 5 Family of man who died after attack in Canning Town pays tribute to a 'loving, generous' father
- 6 Architects awarded £300K contract for Stratford Station makeover
- 7 'Petrified' cat reunited with kittens after 'pursuit' in Canning Town
- 8 Blaze under control at block of flats being built in Canning Town
- 9 Newham charity hands out 500 food parcels to 'vulnerable' international students struggling with Covid-19
- 10 Woman arrested in Custom House fatal stabbing and shooting investigation
Crews from Stratford, Plaistow, Hainault, Stoke Newington, Poplar and Millwall are present at the scene.
Those evacuated are understood to be workers from the plant and nearby factories.