Workers evacuated from the scene of waste plant fire in Silvertown tonight
Around 40 people have been evacuated from the scene of a fire in Silvertown tonight
The blaze is at the scrapyard of a waste management centre and is currently being fought by more than 30 firefighters. Roads close to the incident in Dock Road have been shut and the DLR train service between Canning Town and Silvertown stations are suspended.
Firefighters were alerted at 4.26pm.
A fireboat is now also at the scene.
Nearby residents report “loud bangs” and thick smoke at the scene and the London Fire Brigade said that a scrapyard is “fully alight”.
You may also want to watch:
Gas cylinders are involved in the fire which can explode when exposed to heat so a temporary hazard zone of around 200 metres has been established say London Fire Brigade.
Roads that are closed are the A1020 Silvertown Way between the A1020 Lower Lea Crossing roundabout and Thames Road/Pontoon Dock.
- 1 Jailed man caught with knife in Stratford to be handed court order
- 2 Worshippers at mosque in Upton Park aim to raise £35k for Royal British Legion's Poppy Appeal 2021
- 3 Cause of death remains unknown after body found in disused Forest Gate pub
- 4 Body found in derelict pub in Forest Gate
- 5 Hundreds arrested after police crackdown on county lines
- 6 Forest Gate triple shooting: 'Safety is everybody's business,' councillor says
- 7 Man given community order for 26 counts of criminal damage after scratching name into property
- 8 Thames Barrier closing for 200th time amid potential east London flooding
- 9 Tom Hiddleston to appear as MCM Comic Con returns to ExCeL London in Royal Docks
- 10 Newham mathematician to fill in for Countdown presenter and expectant mum Rachel Riley
Crews from Stratford, Plaistow, Hainault, Stoke Newington, Poplar and Millwall are present at the scene.
Those evacuated are understood to be workers from the plant and nearby factories.