Work starts on new Queen Elizabeth Olympic Park homes
- Credit: Alicia Ford
Construction has started on 333 new homes at Queen Elizabeth Olympic Park.
Two tower blocks known as Glasshouse Gardens will offer a mixture of studio apartments and 1, 2 and 3 bedroom flats.
They are part of the first phase of The International Quarter development, a joint venture between Lend Lease and LCR which will provide a £1.3bn commercial and residential development.
Ian Crockford, project director on The International Quarter at Lend Lease, said: “The start of construction on the Glasshouse Gardens homes marks an exciting step in the creation of this new residential and commercial district which is set to be London’s new feel-good workplace.
“Glasshouse Gardens will offer residents a unique opportunity to live amongst, and make use of, some of the world’s most elite sporting facilities where the London 2012 Olympic and Paralympic Games were held.”
Every home will have a private outdoor space, open-plan living and kitchen spaces, with the first properties due to be completed by 2016.
They are being constructed using sustainable building practices, with green roofs to absorb rainwater and provide insulation.
- 1 West Ham United reveal Thames Ironworks-inspired third kit
- 2 West Ham United tie is big deal for Danes warns Reid
- 3 Product sold at Tesco recalled due to risk of disease-causing bacteria
- 4 Newham refuse workers vote to strike over pay dispute
- 5 Thousands attend UK Black Pride event in Queen Elizabeth Olympic Park
- 6 Met Office: Thunderstorm warning issued for London
- 7 Reward offered to trace Maryland fatal stabbing 'suspect'
- 8 We want everyone to contribute says Leyton Orient boss Wellens
- 9 Jailed: Eight east London offenders locked up in July
- 10 Man suffers leg wound in Beckton stabbing