‘Wonderful’ first year for Newham’s Asian shopping centre celebrated with party
- Credit: Archant
Europe’s first ever purpose-built boutique South Asian shopping centre has turned one years old in grand style.
Food, music, family fun and dancing accompanied the vivid colours of the subcontinent as East Shopping Centre, in Green Street, Upton Park celebrated the anniversary of its opening.
Music stars Juggy D and Plaistow’s own Mumzy Stranger performed while Absolute Bollywood offered dance workshops during Saturday’s event.
West Ham MP Lyn Brown also attended the festivities, which celebrated the 1.4 million visitors the centre – which specialises in wedding items – has seen come through its doors since 2015.
Bob Popat, partner at ACR Investments – the group behind East – said the future looks bright for the emporium.
You may also want to watch:
“It’s been a fantastic day here at East Shopping Centre, celebrating our first year of business,” he said.
“We’ve had a wonderful first year of bringing the very best in Asian fashion to East. We are confident that our top retail brands, competitive pricing and safe, vibrant environment will continue to bring in customers and local support.”
- 1 Jailed man caught with knife in Stratford to be handed court order
- 2 Cause of death remains unknown after body found in disused Forest Gate pub
- 3 Worshippers at mosque in Upton Park aim to raise £35k for Royal British Legion's Poppy Appeal 2021
- 4 Man given community order for 26 counts of criminal damage after scratching name into property
- 5 Thames Barrier closing for 200th time amid potential east London flooding
- 6 Forest Gate triple shooting: 'Safety is everybody's business,' councillor says
- 7 Body found in derelict pub in Forest Gate
- 8 Hundreds arrested after police crackdown on county lines
- 9 Newham mathematician to fill in for Countdown presenter and expectant mum Rachel Riley
- 10 Player ratings: Cresswell shines for West Ham in KRC Genk victory
Meanwhile Mumzy Stranger, who gave fans a special preview of his new single Jaan Atki, said Newham is a natural home for East.
“It’s great to have East Shopping Centre here on Green Street, which has long been a business hub for the vibrant Asian community in this area,” he said.
“It’s the perfect place for Europe’s first Asian shopping centre.”